chapters 8) The Mock Battle

The awaited day had finally arrived. With the mock battle finally here, all of the participating students had been sent into an open field situated nearby the academy's supervision. It was not much in terms of landscape, but what was there for the battlefield had provided many opportunities for a unique strategy. Within the grassy arena, were forests scattered across the middle of the grounds. With only one small opening for crossing past the thickets and bushes. Additionally, there was also a stray path which would lead towards the territories of the opposing two houses.

This would have to be one of the only ways to cross through, as the Golden Deers had been sure to fence up their side of the forest in order to set up a keen ambush. Holding the frontlines of it all, was Claude and Lorenz, whilst Hilda had been told to stay near the middle of the grasslands to act as a shield. On the far northeastern side of the field, were the Blue Lions. In having the open pathway situated nearby them, they had made a more frontal positioning to take advantage of their given terrain. Each of them were around the two openings for the opposing houses, in hopes of luring them out for a tactical advantage. As each instructor was allowed to help order their respective houses, Hanneman and Manuela had each taken their own position as the piece which held their teams together.

In the far southern side of the field, the Black Eagles were lucky to be in a safe starting position to the other two houses. Whilst they did not have a forest to defend themselves, they were of a safe range from the approaching archers of the other houses. Before starting the battle, each full house was given time to themselves to speak, in order to prepare their wooden training weapons and decide who was fit to participate.

Whilst he was taking his time to observe the other two houses, Byleth had noted down the centre pieces of each side of battle. If the Black Eagles had wanted a chance in winning, they would then need to take out the very people who commanded their enemies. As long as he could put them in a position where they surrendered, then they were exempt from battling further.

As it was mandatory for the full class to at least attend the opening of the battle, everyone had a shocked expression when Linhardt and Bernadetta had made their entrance, without needing the help of the twins to guide them. Of course, each of them were still displaying their usual introvertive habits. Bernadetta still had her head to the ground, whilst Linhardt was far too busy drooping his eyes over to fully understand the importance of this battle.

Aside from them, Petra was the only one of the non-participating students who attended with full enthusiasm. She would even go so far as to mix herself in with Edelgard and ask her about the formation they were planning. Since this battle was Rhea's way of judging the capabilities of the twins, they had both agreed that Byleth would be the one to command the class in battle.

"My teachers, are you ready yet for this battle to happen?" Edelgard and Petra were among the first of those to interact with the twins. "We spent so long in keeping to ourselves when getting here, that I fear that we may be lacking for plans."

"We can discuss it all when we start," Byleth assured her. "I'll be the one who will lead you for this battle. Let us prove our worth in this Mock Battle."

Beleth also nodded her head in agreement to her brother's words. "I've already told my brother about what you all specialise in. Just trust him and all will turn out well."

"So you will be sitting out this battle?" Edelgard asked.

"That's about the gist of it all." Beleth gave a sneaky glare at the unattending students. "But I've been given strict orders to find out about a particular set of student's strengths and weaknesses while I'm gone, so I'll be busy myself."

In an instant, both Bernadetta and Linhardt had taken high alert to their teacher's plans. With a quick shudder and sigh, both of them submitted to their defeat. Petra and Beleth chuckled at this reaction, but they both quickly panned their heads towards the other members of the class. Everyone who was ready to battle had made sure to attend and were all ready to fight at any second. Whilst Caspar and Ferdinand were making sure to pick between their preferred weapons, Dorothea and Hubert were both reading up on various spells to use in combat.