Chapter 55) Sides of a Mask

Source: Screenshot from Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

A new day had arrived. While everyone from the Black Eagles had been unwinding from their prior picnic, there was still much to do. There were still free days yet to be spent, and this meant that the students and staff could do as they pleased for a short while.

When it came to Ashe and Mercedes, they had both decided to use this time for their own personal excursions.

When the two approached the academy's central cathedral, they both noted the large sunlight illuminating the large building as they entered. Seeing others pray and go about their duties was a calming sight. One could feel the weight of their souls lift up as they spent more time there

Mercedes, who had often been used to frequenting the area, knew what it was she should be doing. Still, it was not often that Ashe would tag along with her, but the change was more than welcome. She guided her young friend with apt enthusiasm. As they entered, she told him in low breaths of the rules, the etiquettes, and the habitual nature of the area.

She was well-versed in the field. That much was obvious. Her immense experience in her own faith had been the very reason that Ashe had asked for her help to begin with. As the two walked inside, they stood and prayed.

Ashe thought of all that he appreciated, and of what he wished for to happen in the future. Mercedes joined in. When they both finished, they had already spent almost an hour in the cathedral. Thankfully, they visited at the earliest convenience, so it was still morning. Both Ashe and Mercedes already guessed that Annette would be busy in the library at this time of day. They left, wanting to join her as well.

During their walk, Mercedes finally had a chance to check in on her friend. Ashe was okay. When they were part way there, a thought crossed her mind.

"It's not everyday that someone asks to come to pray with me, Ashe. It was really fun. Thank you so much for joining."

At this, her friend was taken by surprise. She had shown him kindness ever since the scuffle with Lonato. In truth, Ashe was forever grateful to both Annette and Mercedes for all they had given him in his darker hours.

"It's nothing, really. I'm still surprised, though. No one has offered to come with you before? The academy does operate near a cathedral, after all, so I wouldn't have been surprised if the place was frequently visited."

"Oh, you know how it is," Mercedes said, bashfully. "Everyone studying here comes from their own terms. Not everyone's as devout, and some just come here for their own meandering. I can't blame them, but sometimes I do wish more people would come - if only for a bit of time."

"It is a shame, but I imagine it must be gratifying for you to be visiting regardless. Your efforts really are admirable Mercedes. Honestly, I think I'm starting to understand why you feel so close to your faith. It really is something you need to go out of your way to experience in order to understand."