Chapter 5

Today, I was at the Nickleson's property. I needed to hear their side of the story, since it was taking me a long time to get information from Alois' side. I know detectives and the police are usually supposed to do this but I had studied alot in college, therefore giving me the rights to do this. Despite others arguing, Sebastian let me do it anyway, knowing I liked my information first hand and reliable.

I knocked on the door of the house. The Nickleson's had moved into a new home, not having to pay too much because of home insurance. I hoped they were coping okay.

"Who is it?" A female voice asked on the other side of the door.

"I-I am Ciel Phantomhive, Alois Trancy's lawyer...? I just wanted to know if I could hear your side of the story seeing as my client isn't cooperating very well..." I said a little shyly.

The door opened and a woman in her early thirties stood there with dead straight blonde hair and dark brown eyes. I'm guessing this was Jane. "Sure." She smiled and let me in.

"Thank you, ma'm." I walked inside. She lead me to the lounge room where her husband Michael was sitting on the couch. He looked up at me, eyeing me suspiciously before looked at Jane for an explanation.

"This is Trancy's lawyer. He is here to hear the story." She explained. "Sit here, dear." She said, gesturing to a seat.

I sat down and looked at Michael. "Hi." I smiled. I was a bit shy around people to be honest, especially in a situation like this where if I said the wrong this they could either burst into tears or punch me in the face. It was pretty nerve racking. He nodded at me solemly and looked at his wife, who was looking at me expectantly. I felt kind of cornered and awkward.

I cleared my throat and looked at the papers in my lap, shuffling them. "So... Could you tell me exactly what happened that night that you know of? Take your time of course." I made eye contact with them.

Jane took a deep breath. "Well... Michael and I were lying in bed, asleep. We are really, really deep sleepers you see. We didn't know anything was happening until we woke up to the smell of smoke and heard police sirens out the front of the house. The police rammed down our door and ran us out the house before we even had time to understand what was happening. That's basically all we know that's reliable, the police told us the rest." She concluded, looking pretty calm.

I nodded and wrote down some notes. I've never heard of anyone sleeping through a fire and murder in their own home but anyway.

"Could you tell me what the police told you? Because at this point I actually don't know anything at all." I chuckled nervously.

"He didn't tell you anything?" Michael growled.

"If by he you mean Trancy, no he didn't. He doesn't really want to tell me anything."

"Guess it proves what he did." He scoffed.

I sighed and looked down. "We don't know just yet..."

"It's damn obvious!" He smashed his hand on the coffee table, making me flinch.

"Stop." Jane patted her husbands shoulder. He let out a deep breath and looked away, mumbling under his breath.

"The police told us that what they believe happened at the time was that that disgusting boy had smashed through our window, raped our son and killed him by smashing one of my cookbooks over his head and wrapping his pants around his throat, s-strangling him to death-" Jane began crying. Michael put his arms around her but she took them away and breathed slowly. "Then set the place on fire, hoping to kill us too. They found him fleeing the scene with matches, a lighter and my phone in his pocket." She finished.