Chapter 16

Past Alois POV (this chapter may be confusing, so pay attention to the font, it may help)

Today had not been a good day. I had gone for a walk, only to see Michael with his wife and son at the park all playing together with a ball happily. I glanced over, trying not to make it obvious I was looking and smiled to myself. I remember when Luca, dad and I used to play like that. I had a vision of Michael, Jane and their son disappearing and instead Luca, dad and I were playing together, happy as could be. A tear rolled down my cheek as I remembered. Those were great days when it was just the three of us. It made me wish it were like that again.

A ball came rolling to my feet, snapping me out of my daydream. I looked down and stared at for a second, then looked up to see Michael's son running towards me. I picked up the ball and handed it to the boy.

"Here." I said polietly, giving him a smile.

"My daddy said I shouldn't talk to weirdo hobo people like you, sorry." He said in a sad tone, not completely understanding what he had just said before running off to play with his family again. My facial features had frozen into an almost horrified expression. That boy was probably only three years old and his wicked parents were already teaching him to say things like that to me. That kid is going to grow up into something nasty if they keep doing that. I saw Michael in the distance smirking at me as his son ran back. I just turned and began walking away, knowing what was coming next.

"Hey, how's your brother?" Michael yelled to me, causing me to walk away faster. Tears started to fall down my face, making me feel weak and helpless.

I can handle the insults.

I can handle the abuse.

But I can't handle them speaking about my brother.

I ran home and went to my room, locking myself in and burying my head into my silk pillow. Luca didn't deserve to die, why couldn't they have killed me instead? Why couldn't they have killed both of us so the other wouldn't have to suffer?

Why did they have to hurt us in the first place?

It's one thing to have a fight with a friend, but to hold a grudge so tightly you kill your friend's child, that's horrible.

Luca was such a sweet boy. He was kind, even to those who hurt him, he was strong, adorable, thoughtful, and looked up to others as if they were god. He put everyones feelings before his own, but even so...

"I can't handle this!!" Luca screamed, clutching the sides of his head.

"Luca, calm down-" I tried to comfort him, but he had snapped.

"N-No!! How can I be calm? I've tried to stay calm this whole time, think positive, be positive, but I can't do it anymore!! I'm scared Alois, I'm so so scared. I'm scared, hurt and alone; I feel unheard, weak, helpless, and different. We aren't different, we are just normal kids! We've done nothing wrong, nothing at all so... S-So why are we getting treated like this!? W-Why can't we just live happy lives, aren't we entitled to that? It's not fair!" He cried, embracing me in a tight hug and sobbing into my shoulder.

I had never seen Luca like this. He was also so happy and cheery. He was usually the one to tell me to ignore Michael and Jane, but I guess he had snapped. I couldn't blame him. We had both been through so much, and although I had him to support me, he had noone to support him. I was the eder brother, and a lousy one at that. I vowed to be there for him, and help him after that.

But it was too late.

That night the house was engulfed in flames, and all I could see was one crooked, evil grin through it all.