Chapter 38

Arlo POV

Arlo thought that confronting Seraphina was a very bad idea and forcing her to let John help was even worse. Of course, John didn't care what Arlo thought; he was going to confront her whether the blond was there or not. Arlo sighed. It was so like John to act impulsively without considering anything besides his own feelings.

At this point, however, Arlo was too tired to argue. He'd agreed to go with John to talk to Seraphina; a part of him was only doing it so that he could make sure things didn't get too crazy. He still didn't trust John not to get angry and overreact. At least with him there, Seraphina would have a chance to stay safe even if John tried to fight and her ability wasn't working.

The last month had been hard on Arlo. First, he'd found out that the authorities were working with EMBER; then, Remi had convinced him not to call his aunt, the one person who might explain everything. It left Arlo with an unpleasant feeling that Remi knew more than he did. Still, he wanted to listen to her. The one time he'd answered his aunt's call, he hadn't mentioned anything about EMBER or Spectre. It had been the first time he'd lied to his aunt, in fact. He'd told her he was focusing on getting stronger to dethrone John, even though he no longer wanted to be King. He hadn't asked her about EMBER. She likely wouldn't know about it, though. EMBER was probably made up of a few rogues who could easily be gotten rid of.

There had been something in Remi's expression when she'd told him not to call his aunt, however, that had forced him to hold back. He knew that he should've just told his aunt. She could take care of it. She would make sure to find EMBER and remove them. Still, Arlo had been unable to convince himself to just tell her. He sighed. That pink-haired girl can really annoy me sometimes. She really was just like her older brother.

Now, of course, just when Arlo was wondering if something would finally happen and he could be reassured the authorities were trustworthy again, John had decided to stir things up. Arlo was still annoyed that John had simply guessed everything that had happened; he hadn't known the black-haired boy had the brains to do that. It must've been related to what Seraphina had said. She'd told them all that John had changed. Maybe this John, the one who was able to piece things together and was the slightest bit calmer, was what she was referring to. Arlo just wished that he didn't have to be the one to wonder about it. He already had enough to deal with.

"Arlo." A voice full of hatred interrupted his thoughts. He opened his eyes from where he'd been standing in the hallway to see John in front of him, amber eyes narrowed. "Are you coming or not?"

Arlo scoffed, biting back the urge to say that he'd simply been waiting for the other boy. John, of course, had been late again. However, he didn't want to deal with another argument. He instead nodded and began walking towards the roof, where John would be confronting Seraphina.

They arrived a few minutes later. John went first and opened the door. Arlo followed a good foot behind. He had no desire to get closer to the black-haired fool who seemed determined to break his own friendships... not to mention the hierarchy.

"Hey, John! Did you want to..." Seraphina began as she looked up from where she'd been sitting against the rooftop's fence. She trailed off when she saw Arlo behind John. "Arlo?"

Arlo could hear the confusion in her voice. He understood it perfectly. The sight of him and John doing something together was very strange, especially when it was clear they both hated each other. He pushed aside the thought, stepping onto the rooftop and closing the door behind them. "We have to talk, Seraphina."

She stared at them both, dark blue eyes narrowing in confusion. Arlo watched her glance at John, whose face was impassive. She stood up. "About what?"

"I know what you're up to. I know about Spectre," John told her, straight to the point. Seraphina's eyes widened, her face becoming pale. She spun to face Arlo.

"Did you tell him?! I thought we agreed to keep it a secret!" She asked, voice rising in anger. Arlo sighed. He hadn't wanted to tell John. He really didn't want to be a part of this at all.

"I found out, Sera! I'm sorry, but I can't let you do something dangerous alone. I want to help you! I just asked Arlo a few questions, but I knew something was up..." John told her, his poker face shifting to one of nervousness. Arlo sighed once again. Of course now John was getting worried. It hadn't been a good idea at all to confront Seraphina like this. At least John had told Seraphina that he'd been the one to find out, so Arlo wouldn't have to deal with her anger now.

Seraphina frowned, her eyes staring straight at John as if trying to read his mind. John flinched at her piercing stare. This was your choice. Just do something. Arlo crossed his arms, wishing John would just make his point.

"What do you know?" She asked him.

"He knows everything," Arlo answered before John could. The other boy glared at him. Seraphina sighed, shaking her head.

"I had a reason to keep it from you. I don't want you to get hurt," She told John, voice quieter now. "If you get involved, it won't be safe for you either."

John's eyes were firm. "I don't care."

Arlo shook his head at them both. They're so hopeless. Either Seraphina should let him help her, or John needs to give up, but both are so stubborn that they won't do anything. He decided that he make the decision for them both.

"John knows, and I'm sure Spectre wouldn't leave him completely alone. He is a god-tier, after all. There's nothing else you can do, Seraphina; let him help," Arlo told them both. John's eyes widened as Arlo spoke, but he ignored him. Seraphina looked from Arlo to John, still indecisive.

Finally, she sighed. "You're right... fine, John. You can help me. Under two conditions."

John nodded. "Okay. What are they?"

"Don't get yourself into danger, and..." Seraphina paused, biting her lip. "Don't hide things from me. Important things, I mean. I don't want you dealing with hardships alone." Her last words were quiet. Arlo had the feeling that he should leave; none of this concerned him anymore. He turned to walk off the rooftop, but not before he heard John's answer.

"I agree as long as you do the same."