Chapter 62

John POV

John tugged on the sleeves of his suit, his mind stuck on what they were about to do. Sera had asked Blyke to borrow one of suits, but it still didn't make sense to John that the other boy had agreed; he barely talked to his red-haired roommate. Really, the two of them were just tolerating each other. Blyke seemed to respect Sera, though, despite her ability still being faulty. That was likely why he'd agreed to let her borrow the suit.

This part of the plan, the first part, would be the easy one in theory. All they had to do was go into Spectre and convince them that John wanted to join. Sera's sister, Leilah, and Doc would be waiting at his apartment, prepared to step in when needed. Unfortunately, Sera had needed to style her hair in the way she usually did for Spectre, so she hadn't been able to hide an earpiece. Instead, she'd kept her phone close with Leilah on speed dial. Leilah's associate, Kayden, would be joining them as well. He had to get in there before things got too dangerous... because if everything went the right way, Sera would be unconcious for a bit.

John hated that part of the plan, but they needed her hooked up to the machine that would give her back her ability. She needed some strength to fight back, and John needed Kayden's ability copied to steal the machine. That was their plan, after all; a heist, disguised as John joining Spectre.

A knock on the door caused him to jump, his mind having been completely lost in the plan. He quickly opened the door of his dorm room to find Sera standing there. She'd tied her hair up with a clip, the style she typically wore for Spectre; her suit was a light brown color. Something about the outfit made her seem older... it was extra professional, but in a good way. Not the point, but she looks really nice right now.

He blinked a moment later, confused about where that thought had come from.

"Ready to go?" Sera asked him. She glanced down at his suit, a small smile on his face. "You look prepared."

Right, the plan. "Yeah. Let's do this." He was more than ready to help Sera escape the mess he'd gotten her into. It technically wasn't his fault she'd joined Spectre in the end, but he'd caused the desperation... if he'd just been by her side, things might have been better. They might not have been, though. He hated that he was still struggling with himself.

Sera was staring at him, slight worry in her eyes. He brushed it off, taking a step forwards. They left the dorm together and walked out the front of Wellston, heading to a nearby park where they'd be meeting with Kayden, who would transport them to Spectre. Leilah had already arranged a meeting with the executives for them; hopefully, they'd be too distracted by the possibility of gaining another god-tier to their team that they wouldn't catch on to the plan. They didn't have to know that John would never join Spectre, or that he was almost looking forwards to fighting them. Almost. His ability was still... dangerous. At least this time, he had a good reason to use it.

Kayden was waiting in the park when they arrived. There wasn't much conversation when they met. Sera simply whispered a few things to him, going over the plan, and sent a text off to Leilah. Moments later, it was time to go.

They were transported inside of Spectre in seconds. The hallway they stood in looked just as John had pictured it; grey walls, grey floor. Nothing interesting. His heart pounded with the weight of what they were about to attempt, interrupted only by Sera suddenly grabbing his arm.

"The meeting room is this way," Sera explained. She stared at him for almost an entire minute, as if silently sending her strength one last time and reaching for his own. He took a deep breath and nodded, allowing her to lead him through the hallway. Kayden left them here, heading in a different direction.