Chapter 24: Selfish.

Luna's brain felt all fuzzy as she just stood there staring as everyone in the room began to greet Matt. She had been imagining what it would feel like when she finally saw him again. She was unsure whether any underlying feelings for him would surface when she did, but she there was nothing like that at all, just an overwhelming feeling of guilt.

A soft hand brushing up against hers snapped her out of her thoughts. She looked up to see Chris looking down at her, smiling softly. She could tell he was trying to communicate with her, silently asking her if she was okay and letting her know he was still there, right by her side.

She smiled back at him with a slight nod, letting him know she was okay. She was quickly interrupted from staring in to Chris's baby blues, which were a lifeline of comfort right now.

"Hi Luna"

She turned her head to see Matt standing in front of her, a smile plastered on his face as he stared down at her.

"Hi Matt" As she spoke she felt Chris's presence move away from her. She knew he was just doing what he thought was right, giving them a minute to talk. But god does she wish he had stayed glued to her side. "It's good to see you" She smiled as she pulled him in for the world's most awkward hug.

"You too, how are you?" he asked pulling away, shuffling awkwardly on his feet, like he had no idea how to stand still. Which he felt like he didn't. Like Luna, Matt had also thought about what seeing her again would feel like. She looked as beautiful as ever in the backless cream dress she wore. His heart was beating so fast he thought it might literally beat out of his chest.

"I'm good, how are you?"

"I'm okay" he replied with a smile, but she could see it didn't reach his eyes. She'd been around Matt enough to know when he wasn't okay and right now he definitely was not okay. She didn't press him though, worried about making him uncomfortable. She had no idea how to act around him now.

"Happy Birthday" he smiled as he passed her a gift bag with a card sticking out of it.

"Oh Matt you really didn't have to do that" She was shocked as she took the bag off him, turning to place it on the table behind them.

"It's okay I wanted too" He smiled again, that same smile that used to make Luna swoon every time.

Luckily the conversation was interrupted by Ed cheering that it was time to start the party whilst opening a bottle of champagne and proceeding to down the entire contents. Earning an incredibly disapproving look and slap around the head from his Mum.

Shortly after all of the rest of the guests arrived and the garden was filled as the party was in full swing, or as Luna liked to call it, her own personal living hell.

~~~~~

A few hours later and the sun had started to set after everyone had finished eating the incredible food the chef from one of Ed's places had provided. Chris was currently sat by the fire pit nursing a beer as he watched Luna dance around the make shift dance floor with Stella.

He knew he should be careful watching her so closely in case someone noticed but he just couldn't help it, he could not be more in love with this woman. He even found himself imaging what it would be like if they were married with their own children. Someone taking a seat next to him snapped him out of his daze. He looked to his side to see Matt handing him a fresh beer.

"Cheers man" he thanked him as they clinked their bottles together in a cheers. "So how are you?" Chris asked as he turned his body to face Matt. He felt awful about how little he'd been there for Matt the past few weeks. He made sure to text him constantly to check up on him, but he'd only managed to stomach seeing him once. He found it devastating to sit and listen to Matt talk about how heartbroken he was over Luna, when Chris knew she was sat at his house waiting for him to come back. He knew it was incredibly selfish putting himself first, but he just couldn't bare the guilt that completely consumed him when he was around Matt.