Chapter 32: Drunk.

As he opened his front door Chris shook the fresh snow off his coat before stamping his boots down on the mat and stepping inside his house. He shut the door behind him and flicked on the entryway lights. He'd just gotten back a few hours ago, going straight to his mothers to pick up Dodger before coming home.

It had been three months since he left for filming. Which meant it had been three months since he last saw her. It was now late December, the week before Christmas to be precise. He was done with filming and as glad as he was to be back home, he was terrified to face the memories that haunted this place. Even in the little time he and Luna had spent together as a couple, it was all still permanently engraved in his mind.

He unclipped Dodger from his leash before making his way into the kitchen, going straight for a bottle of whiskey. He found himself drinking more and more recently, it was the only thing that seemed to help. Either he could get so drunk he could forget all about her even if it was temporary or it made him hallucinate or dream that she was still there with him and he was clinging on to that.

He'd ignored his mother's efforts of trying to get him to stay with her for Christmas week. As much as he loved his family, he was feeling his façade of happiness fading and he didn't want them to see him if he completely snapped. And he knew it would be coming soon.

This whole time he had been holding out hope that Luna would come back. Every night in his hotel room he would lay there awake imagining that she would just show up and tell him she made a mistake. Any knock on the door, any phone call he expected it to be her and every time it wasn't he lost a piece of himself.

As much as he had tried to hide it, his family and friends could see what this was doing to him. He was a shell of his former self and nobody knew how to help him. Scott had seen Luna a few times, but not as much as he used to. Unfortunately she was still adamant that this was for the best, despite what it was doing to both her and Chris, god Scott hated how stubborn she was.

Chris poured himself a drink before quickly downing the whole glass, the brown liquid burning his throat. Immediately he refilled his glass before he headed through to the living room, collapsing on to the couch. He stared up at the ceiling, nothing but thoughts of Luna running through his mind.

About an hour and a few more glasses of whiskey later his head shot up from the couch when he heard a knock on his door. Quickly he jumped up from the couch, practically running to the front door. His heart beat sped up at the thought of her possibly being on the other side of the door.

Quickly his hope faded and he felt himself sink a little further in to that dark place as he opened the door and yet again it wasn't her. But he was still extremely shocked to see who it was on the other side.

"Matt?" Chris questioned as he stared at the man who had been his best friend since he was a teenager.

"Hey" Matt replied as he took in Chris's appearance, Scott was right he did look like shit. "Can I come in?"

Matt's request snapped Chris out of his state of shock as he moved aside to let him in, "yeah of course"

"Thanks" Matt stepped inside before Chris guided him down to the kitchen. Both of them then stood there awkwardly staring at the other, neither knowing what to say.

"You want a beer?" Chris asked as he pointed to the fridge.

"Yeah sure thanks" Matt replied as he took a seat at the kitchen island. Chris grabbed two beers from the fridge placing them on the counter before taking the seat opposite Matts. The two sat quietly before Matt finally broke the silence.

"Scott mentioned you were getting back today, how was filming?" Matt asked trying to clear some of the tension in the air.

"It was good yeah, glad to be home" Chris was playing with the label on his beer bottle, eyes focused on the counter. "Listen Matt, I am so sorry for everything that..."

Matt quickly cut Chris off by raising his hand, "it's okay you don't have to explain yourself again, I didn't come here to argue or anything like that."

Chris let out a deep breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding. He was relieved that Matt at least seemed to have come in peace.

"I wanted to say thank you for the card and present you sent for my birthday" Matt had been surprised when he'd received a package from Chris. Although he didn't really know why. In all of the years they had been friends Chris had never once missed Matt's birthday, even when he had been away filming.

"Yeah man of course" Chris smiled weakly before dropping his head back down.

"Seriously Chris are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine"

"Really because you look like shit" Chris huffed out a laugh as he shook his head at Matt's words.

"Yeah haven't been sleeping too well, a lot on my mind I guess"

"Listen Chris, I came here because well, I miss my friend man. Do you know how many times I've seen some funny video and nearly sent it to you?" they laughed together before Matt continued, "what you did, it really fucking hurt me man and I was so fucking angry, I'll be honest for a while there I wanted to fucking kill you. But I realise now that you didn't do it to hurt me. I'm not saying I'm ready to forgive yet, but I'm willing to try. I just want my friend back."

Chris sighed in relief at Matt's confession. This whole thing with Luna had broken him, but it had hurt even more that he didn't have Matt through the whole thing either. In the past Matt had always been a shoulder for Chris to lean on and not having him around just made the heart break that much worse.

"I'd really like that man" Chris smiled at his friend as Matt lifted his bottle to cheers against Chris's. "So what's new with you?"

"I've actually been seeing someone" Matt smiled brightly at the thought of the new lady in his life.

"Really? That's great man, I'm happy for you"

"Thanks pal" Matt took a sip of his beer before he decided to address the elephant in the room, "So, have you heard from her?"

Chris knew exactly who he was talking about, "no, nothing, don't worry man, I'm pretty sure that's over now so"

"Chris that's not why I asked, everyone's worried about you man."

"Honestly Matt it's fine, she made her decision and that's that, can we just not talk about that right now?"

"Yeah okay" Matt nodded, but he wasn't convinced that it was fine at all.

"So tell me more about this new girlfriend of yours" Chris asked quickly trying to change the subject. Matt then launched in to a ramble about his new girlfriend and how happy he is. As much as it was just reminding Chris how alone he really was, he was still incredibly happy for Matt, the guy deserved something good in his life. They spent the rest of the evening catching up, both of them glad to have took a step forward in repairing their friendship, maybe there was light at the end of the tunnel after all?

A/N: so the next few chapters are all going to have time jumps if you're confused at all please ask! I hope I've explained it well enough! Please remember to vote and comment!

A xx