Chapter 13

Sophia

The time seemed to fly by and before I knew it, another day had gone. Cole was being super sweet; always making sure I was alright and having fun. Thankfully, the bruises were going down and I was confident that they would be almost unnoticeable by Sunday. I couldn't wait for my birthday, but at the same time I was a little nervous about my first shift. Of course, I knew how it would work and everything, but I couldn't help thinking that not even a month before, I hadn't had a clue that any of that even existed. Now I was about to become a part of it, and that was slightly terrifying. But I knew that so long as I had my Mum and the twins - not to mention Uncle Brian as well - nothing would be too big for me to handle.

It was now Friday evening, and Cole and I were busy looking through the extensive movie collection we kept at the lake house. We had already watched half a dozen over the past few nights, but tonight was going to be our movie night. I had everything set out; chocolate, popcorn, blankets etc. All that was left was to choose our movies. Fortunately, Cole and I had a pretty similar preference in movies, and so we could usually agree on what to watch. This time, however, we just couldn't decide on the last one.

"But what's wrong with the Twilight Saga?" I asked Cole for what seemed like the tenth time.

He sighed. "Everything. I mean, it's okay, but it portrays the werewolves as kind of the bad guys, and it's also totally unrealistic. For one, vampires do not glitter in the sun, and they also aren't all kind and caring either. Most of the vamps I've heard of, or even met, have been ruthless, calculating and to be honest, kind of creepy. Sort of like walking, talking statues," he said with a slight shiver. I laughed.

"Okay then. So you don't like Twilight. Whatever. What do you want to watch, Mister Fussy?"

"What about a horror film?" he suggested.

"Uh uh. You know what they do to me at night. I'll not sleep for a week!" I protested.

"But I'll be right here to protect you."

I shook my head. "It's not happening. Pick something else."

"Okay. What about a Harry Potter film? We haven't watched one of them in ages."

"Fine. Well, that's us pretty much sorted. You finish setting up in here, and I'll go get the drinks and popcorn. Back in a minute." I said, getting up from the floor where we had been crouching for the past ten minutes. I stretched out my stiff muscles and headed on through to the kitchen.

The snacks were set out on the counter all ready for tonight, and I snagged a couple of pieces of popcorn as I passed the bowl on my way to the fridge. I grabbed two cans of soda and stuck them on a tray with the bowls of sweets, then carried the whole lot through to

the small coffee table in front of the sofa. Cole was already lounging with his feet stretched out and half-covered in blanket. I wriggled in beside him and smiled as I felt him put his arms around me.

"Are you ready for the movie marathon?" I asked him.

"I am indeed," he replied, and I leaned forward to press play and start our first hour of viewing.

----------------------

I think I made it through the first five or six movies before I fell asleep in Cole's arms. I woke up feeling safe and content, still encased in his warm embrace. Smiling sleepily, I snuggled further into him, thankful that the sofa was very wide. Cole moved under me and opened his eyes, blinking in the harsh morning sunlight which was filtering in through a crack in the curtains.

"Good morning beautiful," he said, reaching up to brush a stray strand of hair behind my ear. I leaned down to place a peck on his lips. "Good morning, handsome," I replied, then stood up and stretched out my limbs. "I'm gonna go for a shower. I'll see you in ten," I informed him before walking out of the room and up the stairs.