Chapter 23: What Is Love?

"It's okay to not be okay"

——

I stared intently at him, my fork twirling the spaghetti, no longer having the appetite to eat. The conversation with Ariel had been bugging me ever since I had returned home. Ariel had decided to keep the letter to see if she could dig anything else out, and here I was wondering if there was an alternate motivation to why he was here with me.

"Take a picture it will last longer." He said smirking, before grabbing a spoon filled with spaghetti and placing it into his mouth. My cheeks warmed up, I had not realised he had caught on to my staring I had been to dazed in my thought to realise I had been staring at him for so long.

"Have you ever been in love?" I asked waiting for a reaction, he froze as he stared at his food before he looked at me placing his fork down.
"Why are you asking? Are you in love with me?" He asked, I didn't want to admit I had began to feel something I was not sure about. I enjoyed being close to him, having his presence, the way he had protected me. Which was why I hoped what Ariel had said was wrong.

"Pff. Love, it takes a lot more to make me fall in love." I said to which he arched his eyebrows at me before nodding his head, he grabbed his glass of champagne and gulped it down before instructing the maid to refill his glass.
"So what would make you fall in love with me, little mouse?" He asked, I felt butterflies erupt in my stomach at his question. I did not know how to answer it.

"I-I don't know. Never been in love before." I said shrugging my shoulder to which he nodded his head.
"I'll give you a word of advice, love is beautiful till it is snatched away from you. Then it fucks you over like a bitch." He said as he leaned back on his chair, I stiffened at his words wondering what he meant. Did he know about Katherine? Was he really involved with her?

"What would you do if the love of your life was snatched from you?" I asked curiously, his eyes darted towards me as if he was reading me. He placed his champagne on the dining table, grabbing a napkin and wiping his lips.
"I will make the person pay for it." He said before he stood up, straightening his blazer and grabbed his phone.

"I would like to go back to Italy." I said, he froze with narrowed eyebrows as he looked at me.
"Italy?" He questioned and I nodded my head, pushing my chair back I stood up facing him. The maids hurried clearing the table before walking away.

"I do not feel safe here, being in Italy would divert my attention." I said, to be honest I would never want to go back to Italy it was the last place I would rather be, each corner of Italy held a story which was close as being an nightmare but if I wanted to get to the bottom of this I had to go back.
"And you don't feel safe here...with me?" He asked, his fingers rose caressing my cheeks making me shiver. He leaned forward until his forehead was touching mine.

"You do weird things to me, Little mouse. Things that I should not be feeling." He whispered, making me part my lips. I could hear my heart beat fasten at each of his words making me close my eyes.
"You can start packing, we can leave tomorrow. I'll tell a guard to collect any necessary school work from your campus." Damien said pulling away, he didn't spare me another look as he walked away leaving me stood confused and bothered. I was panting like a dog, just for his presence.

I cleared my throat as I turned towards the stairs and made my way upstairs, I settled on my bed with my hands in my hair was thought over everything I had discovered today. I did not want to think that Damien had only come to England for revenge, that he was involved with Katherine and believed I was at fault and the person who snatched her away from him.

I hoped who ever had written that letter was not Katherine, because it only meant one thing and I did not want to open that chapter again.

I jumped startled hearing a knock on the door which had brought me out of my thoughts.
"Who is it?" I yelled to the person behind the door,
"It's maid, Kylie." She said and I told her to come inside, I watched as the door handled twisted open and she walked in. She had worn a maid attire, her hair was raven black with highlights of blonde.

"Is there a reason you are here?" I asked her with narrowed eyebrows, she nodded her head at me.
"Master De Luca has instructed to help you pack for tomorrows trip." I nodded my head at her words and pointed towards the suitcase, she grabbed my suit case placing it on the bed and unzipping it.

"Can I ask you something,Kylie?" I asked the maid, she seemed startled by my question and nodded her head instantly.
"Of course Madame, anything." She said standing frozen awaiting for my question.
"Have you been in love?" I asked and she smiled nodding her head.

"I have, in fact he's my husband now." She said happily, a smile appeared on my face as she spoke of him very happily.
"How do you know when your in love?" I asked, she seemed in thoughts for a moment as in thinking how to phrase the words correctly.

"When your in love Madame, you feel butterflies erupt into your stomach just by his mere presence. His words made me forget anyone around you, he makes you feel like a princess. You feel safe in his arms and just with him near you."