COURT PREPARATION

AUTHORS NOTE: HELLO AGAIN! JUST A TRIGGER WARNING, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS MENTIONED IN THIS CHAPTER. 

HER POV: 

It was Monday morning and I was stressing out. I was back home after revising all weekend for Mrs Allely's court case. This case has a special effect on me and I really want to bring justice for their family. I was rummaging through the big heap of blankets that was scattered on my bed since I hadn't really moved since Amelia's birthday.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it was 5:30am. I had almost 2 and a half hours until I needed to be at work to get to court at 9am. I revised my opening speech and the arguments that needed to be made. To make sure I could still function, I slowly walked in the kitchen and poured myself a cup of coffee, sipping quite fast as I wanted to prepare well. This was my make it or break it case which could go towards whether my contract gets renewed. I needed to win this first case of mine and prove that I'm worth something.

Not all families will end up like yours, Erica, please save this one. I began to think of my client's children, their faces if I ended up losing, them having to live with their dad and my client being heartbroken. Everything was depending on me and I wasn't sure if I could do it. Almost as if Mateo read my mind, I got a text message from him. "Hey Erica! Making sure you're okay. You got this today. I believe in you. Love you heaps. - Mateo :)". Awh, just what I needed. I replied with "Awh, thanks. I love you too. ❤️" 

I was focusing quite hard on the facts, and then an idea hit me. I called Mateo as fast as my hands could dial his number. "Hey Mateo, sorry to disturb you, could you get the emergency 000 records for my client? I think there's domestic violence involved in this case." I hurriedly asked. "Yeah sure." A groggy voice which was Mateo's occurred out of the speaker. I impatiently waited for him to get back to me. "I emailed them to you." He finally spoke. "Thanks, love you heaps." I replied and then hung up quickly.

Looking at the records of when the client's kids called 000, I could see that they were scared and they had repeatedly said "Mum looks hurt". I knew exactly what I needed to do to win this case. I needed to prove that the children were scared of the father and that they believed the father had hurt the mother.

I began writing down my argument points and practicing them over and over in my head. After I had finished writing, I glanced at the clock on my bedside table, the neon numbers gleamed "6:00". 

The only things I had to do now were have a shower, get dressed, eat breakfast and then go to work. I decided I was going to get there early to prepare for the case perhaps even see Mateo if I have time. Then I would meet the client at court at 9am and court would begin. I looked through my wardrobe, trying to find a formal outfit for court and then I spotted a nice black suit that had not been there before. A small yellow sticky note was attached to the hem of the jacket. I recognised the handwriting immediately, it was Mateo's. "Hey princess! This is for your first court case. You've got this. - Mateo :)" That was really sweet of him so I quickly texted him a "Thanks for the jacket. I appreciate it. <3" It was exactly what I needed to take my mind off the stress, a present from my whole world.

I then went into the bathroom, brushing my hair for the first time in a few days, getting frustrated at the stupid knots in my hair, tugging at them with all my might. I washed my face and then climbed in the shower, taking the shower head in my hands and putting the hot water on. I used the shower head to reach my back, calming all of my tense muscles. 

After my shower I began to dry myself, taking a look in the mirror and laughing at how different I looked now considering I hadn't slept, showered or eaten any healthy food in the past 2 days. As soon as I got dressed, I stared in the mirror and sort of had a "you got this" moment. I looked pretty good considering the conditions. 

I then heard my phone ringing and was getting a FaceTime call from Mateo, I picked up and striked a pose so he could see my outfit today. His jaw dropped, "Princess, you look gorgeous, but I must say I prefer you without clothes." I giggled, he is exaggerating surely. "I'm being serious, that is my future wife right there, Jesus Christ, if any other man looks at you or even breathes near you, they are finished." He commanded. "Is that a bit of jealousy, Mateo Willis?" I asked. "Absolutely, Erica Jenkins." 

After an awkward moment of just staring at each other I finally interrupted the silence, "Mateo, I'm going to head to work and then I've got to go to court. I'll see you later, dinner at your place at seven?"  "Of course, princess. Good luck, I believe in you and I love you heaps. Go get them you sexy queen." I went bright red, "Thanks, love you too." With that the call was finished and I made my way to work. Walking in heels is harder then I thought but I managed to get there on time. 

I made my way through the double doors of the building, making my way through reception and up the stairs into my office. I reviewed the files, colour coordinated them into importance and practiced my opening speech. 

At 8:30, I made my way downstairs, saying goodbye to Levi at the reception desk who gave me a thumbs up and then made my way into my Uber which was going to take me to court. It was all on my shoulders now.