Court Case

HER POV: 

I arrived at court and walked up the stairs to the building. I was nervously fidgeting and revising my opening speech in my head. I reached court at 8:45 and was met by a nervous Mrs Allely and her two children. "Hello Mrs Allely, thank you for coming. I'm going to try my best to win this, I promise." I greeted her. She gave me a warm smile and waved. I crouched down to talk to her children, "Hello there! I'm Erica and I'm taking your mum's case. Could I ask you two a question?" I said in my nicest voice. They both looked at their mum and then nodded.

"Who do you want to live with?" They both pointed at their mum and she let out a relieved sigh. I gave them both a high-five and then ushered my client into the courtroom, I eyed the defendant and his attorney and he gave me a scornful look, what a prick.

We took a seat at the desk at the front of the room, sitting down on the green chairs which were slightly uncomfortable.  "Do you really think we will  win, Erica?" She asked. I nodded, "Don't worry, I'll make sure your children are safe." I assured her. Someone walked in the courtroom and I turned around to find Mateo sitting in one of the seats at the back, I beamed, he came to see me! He gave me a thumbs up. I wasn't sure if he was here to stop people staring at my boobs or to come support me, maybe both?

After a bit of waiting, a voice finally boomed through the courtroom, "All rise for the honourable Judge Stentley." We all stood up and then were ushered to sit down. "This court case will be between Mrs Allely and Mr Allely on the custody of their two children, Kaylee and Grayson, who are both under the age of 18. Attorney Jenkins, you may make your opening speech followed by Attorney Ridley who will then make his." The judge announced. I gave a nod to the judge and stood up.

I faced the jury and adjusted one of the buttons on my jacket. "Jury, I am Attorney Erica Jenkins, I am defending Mrs Allely. As an attorney, I see lots of family court cases but I want everyone to keep in mind that we are here to determine what is best for the children. During this case, you will see that Kaylee and Grayson, the children of Mr and Mrs Allely are better off with my client." I spoke clear and loud. "That will be all, your Honour." I walked back to my seat and gave Mateo a wink on my way back.

The other attorney got up to do his opening statement. "Jury, I agree with Attorney Jenkins about prioritising the children but is missing a parental figure a good thing for the children's wellbeing? During this case, the prosecution will show that Mr Allely has a right to be in the childrens' life and we hope that you keep an open mind during this case." The attorney gave me a wink and then walked back to his seat. Game on.

I then spoke again "Your Honour, the defence calls Mr Allely to the stand." I got up for the questioning of my client's ex husband. After he had done the oath, I began my questioning. "Mr Allely, are you aware that your children had called 000 several times when you were with my client, claiming they were scared and felt unsafe?" He grunted and then replied "No." I gave a grin, I had caught him. "Your Honour, evidence statement number 2, shows that in a conversation with the 911 operator, Kaylee their daughter had stated that Mr Allely had hit his wife because they had called 911. Meaning, not only has Mr Allely just lied under oath, he was aware that the children were afraid of him." The courtroom gasped and the jury members began writing down.

The attorney stared at me blankly and then scowled. The judge spoke "Mr Allely, you are under oath, if you continue to lie, I have no choice but to remove you from this case and give custody to Mrs Allely." Mr Allely nodded. 

"I would also like to add that before this court case, I had recorded both children pointing towards their mother when asked who they would like to live with, therefore jury, with all the evidence given including photos of Mrs Allely's bruises which can be seen on the screen above," I pointed to the screen with the slideshow of all the bruises which could be seen on her face and arms "I ask that Mrs Allely gain full custody of Kaylee and Grayson, her children. The reasoning behind this demand is that the defendant is clearly abusive and is not fit to raise the children. The children have also addressed they would not like to live with Mr Allely and the prosecution asked you before to do this in the best interest of the children."

The attorney spoke up "Who will be their father figure then, Attorney Jenkins?" I glared at him and then calmly responded, "Great question, Attorney. Unfortunately, not all children are raised with both parents and there is no need for a father figure when their mother cares for them just as much. If you're referring to your client, he is clearly unfit to be the father figure therefore I rest my case." 

The judge then interrupted our glaring contest, "The jury will come to the verdict during this 15 minutes recess, court dismissed." Our 15 minute recess had started and I strutted out of the courtroom, holding Mrs Allely's hand. I had a pretty good feeling we were going to win this case and that made me happy. "Thank you so much Erica, I can't thank you enough." She said then hugged me. I gave her a smile and her children ran up and hugged her. I took this opportunity to go see Mateo and he looked proud. "There's my girl, you bloody killed it out there, I'm so proud of you." I smiled at him, it felt good to have someone that was proud of what I had achieved. I kissed his cheek and then hugged him.

I hung out with Mateo until the 15 minute break was over and then walked back into the courtroom for the verdict. "All rise for the verdict." The judge announced and everyone stood up. "By a unanimous vote of 7-1, the jury grants Mrs Allely full custody over her two children, Kaylee and Grayson, both minors. Court adjourned." I was very content with this verdict but the other attorney definitely was not. Mrs Allely ran up and hugged her children and I began packing up my things. 

I was quite looking forward with dinner with Mateo tonight, it's a good way to end the day.