Twenty-Five

The morning after, Kian went to his wing by the Den. He was walking through the door that connects the wing to the house when he spotted his mother standing there as if she was waiting on someone. 

When he saw Kassie unfold her hands and walked to him. He assumed it was him. 

"Not right now," he said as he continued walking past her. 

He was doing the walk of shame and he smelt of cigars, Whiskey, and sex. It was day now and he needed a nap and some coffee. 

"Kian, I really have to talk to you" Kassie followed him. 

Kian rolled his eyes, "Mom, if this is about you apologizing again. I don't want to hear it." He turned to look at her, watching the hurt flash over her face. He sighed as he stopped. 

He pinched his nose before he walked over to where a sofa sat on the ground floor. He looked up at Kassie who stood there with her hands on her hips and then away. 

"I understand why you did it". He begin, "I hated it and I was angry at you, but now that I know. I understand" he rest his hands on his spread legs and rubbed his bottom lip. 

Kassie walked over to sit beside him. "I sometimes regret it" she confessed. Kian glanced at her in disbelief. 

"Really because you act like it was the best f**king choice out there," he said and Kassie looked at him and rolled her eyes. 

"I don't" she defended, "It's just that I know how you are. I know my children and I know telling you guys wouldn't have made it any better for you grieving boys" 

"It would have made it better for me" Kian replied, raising his brow. Kassie shook her at him. 

"When I finally found out who it was that killed him. I had arranged everything for them to be killed. I had vetted them and made provisions, but then I realized that it would be an ongoing cycle if I did it when I saw their children" Kassie said, rubbing her hands together. Kian noticed it was a nervous gesture for her like how it was when he rubbed his bottom lip. 

"You killed them, they kill you or one of us," Kian said thoughtfully and Kassie nodded. 

"I couldn't bear knowing that I was helping that circle stay alive. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I would have put any of you boys in danger"

Kian sighed, raising from his bending position to sit straight on the couch. "I hated your choice" 

Kassie looked at him, ready to reply, but Kian continued, "But, I understand it. It's just shit" he finished. Kassie looked at him knowingly. 

"Are you meaning my lack of truth or the part of losing her?" 

"Both" Kian confessed. "I have never-" he stopped and stood up. "That's all you have to say?" he asked. He was starting to feel like he was saying too much.

Kassie smiled at him and stood up before walking over to him. She placed a hand on each of his cheeks. "Kian, you are the most smartest, strongest, and bravest man I have ever met next to your father. You know what you want and you deserve everything you get or want. If what you had with that girl felt real to you, then it was real. Believe in yourself" 

Kian shook his face from her hands, but Kassie held tighter, "But that was her goal to make me feel like it was real, Ma. It wasn't." 

"How do you know it wasn't?" 

"Because of the f**king story," he snapped yanking his face from her hands. "You told me that-" 

"I told you the history. I never said that it is what's happening now. You are the one that came to the conclusion that it was her. Have you ever asked her?" Kassie folded her arms as she looked at her son.