Magic Lessons

"Alright kid, let's get started." Eda says, rubbing her hands together.

Hazel and Eda were outside the Owl House, ready to start the basilisk's first lesson. King, Lilith, Hooty and Luz sat on the side lines, watching curiously.

"Now, we don't want to start too big on our first one. So, we'll just do a simple light spell. Watch and-" The Owl lady starts. She tries to demonstrate, before realising quickly that her spells didn't work when the light spell quickly dissipated. "Oh, right. No magic. Alright! New plan! You show me how you do your spells." She says.

Hazel draws a spell circle, almost being launched across the yard once more (if she hadn't braced herself) as a jet of fire shot out from her palm. Which had almost scorched her friends watching on the side lines if Hooty hadn't taken the hit, placing himself between the gang and the flames. The basilisk winces. "Sorry!" She calls out. Eda pinches the bridge of her nose, thinking. "Okay, alright. We can work with this. Titan, this is so much harder without magic." She mutters the last part to herself, but the basilisk heard. Her ears flattened slightly, remembering why Eda didn't have magic in the first place.

"Remember what I said the other day? Think little. Now, I also want you to think exactly what you want to make. That make sense?" Eda asks, to which Hazel stares at her blankly, awkwardly rubbing her hands together. "Uh...no?"

Eda sighs. "Lily, can you come over and help me?" She asks. Lilith, after brushing ash off herself and Hooty, gets up and joins her sister. "Of course, sister. Now, what Eda means, Hazel, is you have to imagine what spell you want to create. Think of it like the glyphs. You have to have a clear image in your mind for what you want." She explains. At that, Hazel's eyes lit up with understanding, and she nodded.

"Oh, I think I get what you mean." She says. Taking in a deep breath, she held a hand in the air. Eda moved behind her, placing her hands on the young demons shoulders. "Now remember. Think little. We don't want you to strain yourself." She says gently.

Hazel had a clear vision of what she wanted in her minds eye. Closing her eyes, she slowly draws a spell circle, concentrating. Using both hands to "hold" what she envisioned, she held her hands palm up. Luz, King and Hooty start cheering, and the basilisk could hear Lilith muttering "I can't believe that actually worked!" to herself.

Opening her eyes, Hazel stared at the ball of light in her open palm in awe. Eda squeezes her shoulder. "Great job, kid. Practise that enough times and you'll be able to do your next spell with ease."

Hazel pauses, as she lets the ball of light go. It soars into the sky, but the basilisk didn't pay any attention to it. She turns to Eda, confused. "Wait, why? That wasn't that hard, don't you think I can start with something else? Like a fire ball, or maybe a vine?" She asks.

Eda raises a brow, her smile fading as she looks at Hazel with concern. Letting go of the demon, she straightens, folding her arms. "Kid, a ball of light doesn't take up much energy. It's something simple and easy, and you can learn many tricks with it. But you first have to get used to this spell. I don't want you trying any other spells because this new burst of magic you have is wild and unpredictable." She explains matter-of-factly.

Hazel's eyes move to the ground, full of anger. Eda was underestimating her. Did she think she couldn't handle more powerful spells? Ones that could easily save her life?

What use was a ball of light in the face of danger?

The Owl lady watched her with growing concern, seeing that the demon was avoiding eye contact. Sharing a glance with Lilith, she let out a sigh. "Hazel, we just don't want you to get hurt." She explained softly. "You understand, right?" She reached out a hand to the basilisk, attempting to comfort her. But the basilisk moved away. Shaking her head, she turns away from the Owl Lady.

"Fine. I'll keep practising the light spell." She grumbled, walking further into the wood. Eda was about to follow her, asking her where she thought she was going, when Luz stopped her. The human grabbed the Owl Lady's arm. "It's okay, Eda. You did great today. I'll go keep an eye on her." She said, running after the demon.