F•I•F•T•E•E•N | No One Like You

Hey guys! This chapter is short and sweet! There is a possibility I could be persuaded to post another chapter early.....

Shout out to my lovely beta Jesse_Winter_Soldier

As always, don't forget to like and leave me a comment! I love hearing from you all!

Happy Reading!

-Sif

<~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~>

It was getting cooler now that October had made itself known; fall was in full swing. Chilly autumn air, trees were turning beautiful shades of red, brown, and yellow. Steve had gone back to the apartment the other night, and in a moment of pure happiness, he had told Aubrey he loved her.

Steve whispered, "I love you.", against her lip. His heart was thumping like a goddamn jackrabbit as he watched her slowly blink at him. "You don't have to say anything back.", he whispered, rolling onto the bed next to her.

Her head rolled toward him, her fingers reaching up lazily to touch his jaw. "I know.", she whispered.

Steve sighs as he jogs steadily next to Sam; this will probably be one of their last morning runs until the weather warms up. They were both wearing hoodies and taking it extra slow this morning.

Sam frowns as he watches Steve acting like he did not just say what he did; he slows down, shaking his head.

"W-what did you say?", Sam asked, panting, one hand bracing the tree, the other on his side. The wind cools the sticky sweat on his face.

Steve sighed, "I told her I loved her.", he said, hands on his hips. He was watching his friend double over, trying to regulate his breathing.

Sam nodded, "I thought that's what you said, but I also wasn't sure because of the pulse in my ear beating like a drum.", he panted, gesturing to his ear.

Steve chuckled, "Am I crazy for saying that? I feel crazy, but I've wanted to tell her for weeks.", he admits.

"Well...", Sam huffed, wiping sweat off his brow. "You've seen each other since April?", he asked; Steve nodded. "I mean, it's only been six months. Why did she say?"

Steve's heart skipped a beat, "She said I know.", he replied, frowning at himself. "I think I rushed it, Sam."

Sam laughed, "I think she will tell you when she is ready, sometimes you just don't get there simultaneously.", he says as they fall in step together, cooling down from their run. "This the first time you said that to someone?", he asked.

Steve nodded, a little unsure; he hated this feeling.

Sam raises a curious brow, "Not even Peggy Carter?"

The super soldier sighs, "I barely knew who Peggy Carter was. When we met, I was getting ready to make the biggest life-changing decision.", he says, "It was a wartime whirlwind romance, I wasn't in love with her when I...", he looked over at Sam. "Well, you know..." He hates talking about it. Thankfully Sam knows this and nods. "But it couldn't be ignored that we had something, and maybe if things had turned out differently, I could have loved her." He looks over at a couple walking with a little one bundled up. "Who knows, we could have gotten married, had a couple of kids, and died in each other's arms." He shrugs. "But I'll never know.", he says.

Sam stops, eyes trained on Steve, trying to get a read on his friend. "And you're okay with that?", he asks.

Steve pulls his eyebrows together, thinking. After several minutes, he looks at Sam, "I am. Things with Peggy weren't meant to be." He smiles a little, "Aubrey, now that feels so right, Sam."