Chapter 29: Manadriver GEN 2 - Briefing

Fundamens 17, 1615 Central Calendar, 06:20

Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures, San Redentore District

"...let's carry our birthright and set it free."

With a slowly widening smile, Robin reached for one of the devices—Second-Generation Manadrivers, that Fiolina Bucciarati, a secretary from the Aikon Corporation, had shown them. Picking up the one in the middle with one hand, her other hand reached for a yellow-colored large magic circuit.

"What great timing! We're just about to practice our magic when you come."

The new Manadriver is twice as large and is slightly heavier than the one in her possession. Its gleaming exterior—metallic, Robin noted, is colored a fierce combination of dark red and gold, while the other two in the briefcase are painted in regal gold and white. The lower part has a single large crystal lamp in the middle and two smaller lamps on its side, colored red and green. Meanwhile, on the top part, it sports wing-like protrusions with a black-colored handle equipped with a trigger at the end. It is asymmetrical, as on one side there is an opening to a slot that is precisely the size of the magic circuit she is holding.

Flipping the back and forth to examine it, Robin's eyes were gleaming like a child's as she felt herself extremely giddy at the prospect of testing it. Following her, Robin's apprentices stepped forward and picked up the other two Manadrivers and circuits.

"Hee... this baby looks badass, so this is the Second-Generation Manadriver, huh?" Robin whistled.

"But... to 'carry our birthright and set it free,' you say? That's quite a bold claim. What makes these different from the one invented by Miss Robin?"

The Daby beastwoman Fiolina turned her gaze toward the direction where that voice came from, a young man with hair as white as the snow that covered this entire Training Ground. At his question, Fiolina closed the briefcase and proceeded to explain the devices with a hint of smugness in her eyes.

"The one that Professor Calvello is holding right now is the prototype Unit 00, the A.M. Revolution, and the other two are the Unit 01, or BIRTH-DAY, as Mister President named it. The Second-Generation Manadriver of our company is a system made up of two parts, the Runite Redoublizer and the Runite Charger. Take a look at the Manadriver, press the trigger on that handle and you can separate them into two."

"Huh? Is that so?" Robin asked and did as Fiolina say.

When she pressed the trigger on the handle and pulled it, the Manadriver beeped once and the magical mechanism that magnetically held the two parts together disengaged, ejecting the Charger from the Redoublizer.

"Uwoooah! It splits!!" she exclaimed.

Following her, Meteos and Walman did the same thing with the BIRTH-DAYs. They repeated the process several times, splitting and combining the devices. They also held it in one hand and shook it wildly to see if the combined parts will fall off, but the magnetic magic that held the device together securely clamped the Redoublizer and the Charger in place. As she looked on, Fiolina cringed at how rough they handled the devices, but since they belonged to the elite Ancient Ministry, they should know what they are doing.

Right?

"Amazing, it looks like it's very high-tech!" Walman said in wonder.

"Intriguing. Then? What can these two parts do?"

Fiolina nodded shakily and continued her explanation.

"Let me start with the Runite Redoublizer. It fulfills the same function as Professor Calvello's Manadriver. It is equipped with a component that we call a 'Hard-Drive' to store three medium-length spells—"