Chapter 63: To the World of Love & Peace

Augustusmens 14, 1615 Central Calendar, 03:02

Leiden, Enysfal Province, Holy Milishial Empire

The creak of the house's front door closing served as the final punctuation mark on this early morning's extraordinary discussion. Meteos, still assessing the aftermath of the partial reveal of his future memories, watched as Robin was all but dragged outside by Arthur before quickly vanishing into the cool night air. Despite the positive outcome, there were bound to be some complications, and as he had observed from Arthur's subtle shift in how he gazed at his surroundings when he brushed the topic of Robin's changed fate, Meteos surmised that the bird beastman would likely have questions.

"Miss Giles," Meteos began, tugging lightly at his maid's sleeve. "I think I need to make sure everything is alright with both of them."

"Worried that they might do something rash?" Rachel's tone was understanding.

"Yeah. You must have noticed it too, don't you?"

"I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, Young Master. There is no way someone as loyal as Byleth will bite the hand that feeds him. And Flamberge? Well, you know her. She'll probably be more interested in all the possibilities your visions offer than the dangers."

"But this is less about me and them. Those two seem to have a past history; what I'm worried about is what will they do among themselves."

"Oh dearie, you know... you're absolutely correct on that part, Young Master," Rachel sighed, placing a hand on Meteos' shoulder. "Very well... I will go with you. Let's check on them together."

"Much appreciated. Let us go, then."

With a shared nod, the two dispersed momentarily to equip themselves with jackets and promptly headed out to see the sky still a canvas of deepening indigo, still more than two hours away from being painted by the vibrant sunrise. The pre-dawn air of Leiden, crisp and cool despite the peak summer month, immediately washed over Rachel and Meteos as they stepped out into the deserted street. Even the ubiquitous cats, usually stalking the shadows for unsuspecting scraps, were nowhere to be seen. It was silent, save for the rhythmic noises of nocturnal critters.

The quietude amplified the boy's concern. "Now, where could the two have disappeared to?" he muttered, looking around. For their talk, Robin and Arthur must have gone to a more secluded place.

"Don't worry about that, judging from the performance I've witnessed so far, I think finding them will be a rather quick affair with this invention of yours, Young Master," Rachel chirped, raising a hand that was still gripping the azure Manadriver that glinted in the dim moonlight like a captured piece of starlight.

Meteos nodded, "Using your familiarity with their mana signatures... Hmm, I see. How far do you think you can pinpoint them, though?"

"Let's say... half a kilometer."

"That's actually really impressive for any being that is not elven. As Magister Enepsigos, you are a sensor mage, am I right?"

The maid smiled sweetly at the young master's compliment. "Why, thank you, Young Master. Indeed, my true rank is the Advanced Mage who specializes in detection magic."

As Meteos looked on in satisfaction, Rachel closed her eyes and let her desire paint the reality, channeling her mana into the Manadriver and concentrating.

She no longer has to deal with the hassle of time-consuming verbal incantations anymore, yet ultimately the potency of a magical spell relies on the user's proficiency. By desiring for the same magical effect that served as the foundation of the more specialized mana detector, a mage can sense the mana signatures of living beings within a certain radius from their position. However, precisely pinpointing an individual's signature requires significant skill on the caster's part. An elf who has honed their abilities can precisely identify a faint signature in a dense crowd within a range of several kilometers. Even if an enemy actively employs countermeasures to thwart this technique, they are expected to counter that countermeasure and still be able to locate their target within a quarter of that range. Even after the magical technology of the modern era had introduced devices capable of long-range detection such as the mana detectors and recently the conductive magnetic radars, mages excelling in detection magic are still trained as specialists commonly referred to as 'sensor mages.'