She's Like Me

MAISIE

Noah shook me awake around 6am and asked me with confusion of why I was asleep on the floor. I told him I must have sat back down and drifted off counting the stars. Which was the truth but he still looked as if I was lying or trying to hide something from him.

We each grabbed some fruit from the kitchen and ran to the garage door just off the living room and grabbed our surfboards from the shelves. Then we strapped them to the top of dads Jeep and left while he was still sleeping.

Noah had taken the doors off of the Jeep last night so everything was open. The fresh morning cold on her skin felt amazing. Her black hair whipped wildly behind her as her yellow sunglasses shielded her eyes.

She was just starting to doze off when Noah slowed down in front of a fisherman's loading dock. Behind it was a little better of small apartments. She raised an eyebrow and looked to Noah who was already pulling out his phone.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"Dax is coming with us." He said pressing send on the message. I look at him annoyed and he glances back at me. "Did I forget to mention that? Sorry." He offered lamely as Dax appears in the distance from behind a building carrying a blue surfboard of his own. But I could care less about the surfboard because holy hell.. Dax was shirtless and hot enough to bake cookies off of.

"Good morning." He says to me dipping his head politely.

"Hey man. Let me help you." Noah says sitting up in the frame of the Jeep to help Dax tie his board. Dax unexpectedly steps into the passenger side door frame where I'm sitting and puts me face to face with his beautiful tan body. At first I'm admiring the lines around his ribs. The firmness of his pectorals when suddenly fear glitches into my mind. My eyes jerk back to staring in front of me.

No.. no flashbacks. No PTSD. Not right now. Right now I just want to be a girl who enjoys surfing with her brother and his friend. The sideshow would just have to wait until later.

Dax swung his body around and sat in the middle buckling himself in. "So, what beach are we going to?"

"We are open to suggestions." Noah says.

"We could go to the cove? The waves there are great in the morning and then after we could go snorkeling on the reef. The docs not too far, we could rent a boat and go out."

"That sounds like fun. I haven't gone snorkeling since I was like 10." I say looking at Noah like I'm down for it if he is.

"Well alright then." Dax says slapping Noah on the shoulder. Then he leans back and we set off for the Cove.

When we get there I'm in awe. It's a small out of the way beach but the waves are clear and calling out to me. I unbuckle my seat belt and climb the frame of the jeep to unhook my board. I have my board down before the boys are completely out of the car. Pulling off my gray hoodie, I leave on my board shorts and water tee. I would have loved to try my new bikini out but I didn't really like showing my stomach in front of anyone nowadays.

I shook out my hair and pulled it into a tight bun on my head and then grabbed my board and headed off towards the water leaving the boys behind.

"Your not going to wear a wetsuit? The water is freezing this early in the morning!" Dax yelled after me. I was too excited to stop and wait but I heard my brother answer for me.

"It doesn't bother her. She walks around with sandals in New York snow. And she takes the coldest showers ever. Seriously, if you ever shower after her when you stay over remember to turn the knob before you get in. " he laughs.