The Long Way Back

Maisie

I spent the rest of the week continuing with the small aspects of the garage. When I had nothing to do I'd go to dad's office and help him organize. I never knew my dad could be so anti-technology. Everything he had was still on paper records. And those paper records were not in the best of shape.

The earplugs Dax gave me did end up coming in handy. Like clockwork every day around 5 that same car would backfire as it came over the hill. Each day it became a little easier to bear.

I still wondered how he did it. How did he know that distractions would help pull me out. I asked Noah, but he swore he never told Dax about it. He just said that Dax knew what it felt like. I tried to get more out of him. But Noah wouldn't budge.

"It's not my story to tell." He'd say. "But he's like you. He gets it." He said. And then walked away leaving me to my thoughts.

Still the week passed quickly and today was the day my dad planned for a family get together. I'm in the bathroom fixing my hair when I hear the doorbell ring. My hands drop and I grip the sink. "Deep breaths. Deep breaths" I tell myself. I stare at myself in the mirror. I look like any normal girl ready for a party, my white shorts and purple flowy tank top screams 'lets party'. But on the inside I feel as if I'm racing at 100 miles an hour on nothing but a scooter. I didn't have the heart to tell my dad that I didn't think I was ready for a party.

Instead I've spent most of the week trying to psych myself out that I could handle it. So far there were only 3 people here and I already felt overwhelmed.

Coming out of the bathroom I'm greeted by my Aunt Lucy. She's not really related to me by blood but I remember her. She was one of my Grandma Betty's friends from school. She was a sweet slender woman who knew more about the ocean than anyone I knew. She also had a deep love for mermaids as I recalled. Even had a working conspiracy about how they were real and the government denied it because they were an endangered species. I listened to that theory for two hours the last time I was here. And I left believing her.

I smiled. "Hi Aunt Lucy."

She turned her thick brown hair at me and beamed at me with her bubbly personality. "Maisie! Look at how much you have grown!" She says walking up and crushing me in a hug. I didn't mind it. I knew her. She was family. She let go and cupped my face in her hands. "You're even more beautiful than the last time I saw you. I'm excited that you're gonna be staying here for awhile." She says kissing my forehead.

"It's permanent this time." My dad smiles closing the door behind her. I just smile. I don't really know if anything is permanent anymore.

The conversation continued and I eventually got lost in a sea of greetings. At first it was easy. It was Maru, Shawn and Dax. Followed by my Aunt Rosa and cousin Eliza. Eliza had grown up a lot and had become a beauty of her own. It was easy to fall into a light conversation with her about how she was doing in school and if she planned on staying in Samoa or going to the states for school.

Then it was My Grandma Betty. Her brown eyes landed on me and my whole heart felt at home. I didn't fight the tears that came when I ran into her arms. My grandma Betty was always the mother I wished I had. She caught me easily and wrapped her arms around me tightly. Her hugs always made you feel like she was pushing all your little broken pieces back together..

She clearly knew, but she didn't say anything. Just held me and whispered in my ear to never forget how strong I was. I loved her for that. My Grandma Betty was the glue in our family. She held us together and reminded us that even when we feel at our lowest there are always people around to remind us of how amazing we will be when we get back to our highest. She was the head of our family and the soul I wished I could grow up to be.