I've Been Waiting

Maisie

Dax and I have grown close, and although I know we aren't official I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume we are more than friends.

After the weird and awkward encounter with my dad about Dax sleeping in my room a few nights a week I thought for sure Dax would run for the hills, but he was back again that night. I never thought I'd trust someone so much that wasn't family. The damage my mother caused to me that night by not being there for me had definitely taken its toll on my trust issues. But I trust Dax, and he has proven that he will be here for me when I need him.

With Noah absorbed in his new girlfriend Amy he hasn't noticed how close we have really gotten. Dax has even been my new go to person at the shop but I don't mind. It's easy to talk to him and he never makes me feel like I'm just waiting to snap.

We have each caught each other almost slipping into an episode. Once Dax tensed up really bad when a woman walked in to pick up her SUV with her three children. I saw him go completely rigid and after glancing at where his eyes were locked I was able to grab his hand and pull him into the break room before he completely lost it.

I sat there and held his hand until his breathing was back under control. I went and helped my dad check them out and then without a word walked back and smiled at Dax to let him know they were gone.

He sighed in relief and went to the bathroom to throw some water on his face. He whispered his thanks as he passed and I turned back to work. I caught my dad watching with awe in his expression. I flushed pink and went back to work quickly trying to ignore the gazes.

A week after that my cousins were messing around and accidentally knocked over a whole supply cart causing a loud boom and clang to echo through the garage. I screamed and dropped to my knees. My eyesight started to go fuzzy and my hands were pushed tightly over my ears.

Then something unexpected happened. The garage radio behind me turned up louder and the song "la Bamba" started playing through my flashback. Suddenly I wasn't there... I was back in the garage and my nightmare was suddenly a daydream of Dax turning me this way and that way as we danced our way around a dance floor.

I slowly let go of my ears and opened my eyes just enough to glance in front of me. My cousins were standing a ways off looking really guilty. My dad was in front of them watching me as I slowly opened my eyes even more.

But there, right in front of me, was Dax. Smiling his big perfect smile. He held out his hand and I stared at it for a minute. Taking several rigid deep breaths I took his hand and let him pull me to my feet. He raised his other hand and pushed some hair back from my face to my ponytail and then smiled. "Told you you got this." He said giving my hand one last squeeze before letting go.

I had to admit even I was amazed at myself. My own mind had pulled me out. No questions. No pulling my hair out. No crying. One second I was breaking, and the next I was putting myself back together.

My dad seemed shocked at first. But he also said the same thing Noah did. "He's like you. It's only natural you two would find each other. I'm glad you both have each other to lean on." He had said smiling sadly at me.

I could tell my dad was torn between not wanting to let someone else help me and letting me learn to deal with it in more than just depending on him. In the end he supported mine and Daxs new friendship without question. I knew he saw Dax drop me off a few weeks ago after the beach, and a couple times a week since then. He didn't ask me any questions. But I could tell he was curious.

Dax had started to worry about what Noah would think. As we spent more and more time together there was no denying that what we had might be more than friendship.