Chapter Seven

This floor is taking forever to clean. It feels like I've been cleaning the kitchen for hours. I hate working for the queen. Maybe one day I'll escape from here. It's all I've ever dreamed of. I don't think I'll ever be able to. Satella keeps an eye on me more than she does for anyone working under her. Plus, if I do manage to escape what am I going to do? I don't know anyone. I have no money. I have nowhere to go. What would even be the point? I'd be homeless and alone and would eventually die of starvation. I hate my life.

I keep having this reoccurring dream that I'm travelling somewhere with two people. I don't know where I'm going or who I'm with. I can't see their faces but I feel like I know them. The dream feels so real. Doesn't matter though. It's just a dream. Dreams don't become real. I give up trying to figure it out. I give up with life. I give up with everything.

Suddenly, a guard bursts into the kitchen scaring the life out of me. "Oi you." The guard shouts looking at me. "Go clean the throne room floor. Now!"

"Yes, sir." I get up off the floor and brush off my long dress. I'm wearing a dirty dress that used to be white that has a high collar that feels like it's chocking me. I hate the uniform. It's horrid and uncomfortable. I get a new bucket of water and sponge then head to the throne room.

I walk into the throne room and immediately get to work. The queen and her son, Jenson, are still in here. I avoid eye contact with them both as much as possible. I hate Satella. I hate her more than anything in the world. She ruined my life. I hate her for what she's done to me and my family. I finish the job as quick as possible; I just want to get out of here. I avoid them as much as possible, especially the queen.

As I'm heading back to the kitchen, I notice a boy slowly walking towards. He has chestnut brown eyes and dirty blonde hair. He's taller than me by quite a lot and has a well-built body with broad shoulders. "Peter? Peter Roberts?" The boy stops in front of me and looks at me confused.

He stares at me for a while before finally saying, "Abigail?" I've known Peter my whole life. His dad used to be a black smith at the castle but he left when I was eleven. We were best friends.

"I thought you were dead. The queen told me you got sick and died." I say, confused.

"That never happened. I never got sick. Satella fired my dad and we were forced to leave for no reason. We moved away and opened up our own blacksmiths." Why would the queen lie? I was so distraught when I heard he died. Why didn't she just tell me she fired them? Why is she that determined to depress me? Doesn't surprise me knowing her.

"Why are you here?" I ask.

"The queen hired me to make weapons. I'm so happy to see you. I spent ages trying to find you after I heard you went missing but I couldn't find you anywhere. I spent two years looking. I'm surprised to find you here out of all places."

I'm about to reply when a guard comes marching down the hallway screaming at me, "oi servant you're supposed to be cleaning the kitchen so get back to it. Now!"

"Yes sir," I answer.

"See you around Abigail. We'll try to catch up before I leave." Peter smiles at me then walks off.

I head back to the kitchen. I'm so happy to see Peter. I'm so happy to know he's alive and well. I've missed him so much. He was my best friend. He was the only good thing in my life after everything went to hell. He was the light in my life. However, I wonder what he meant by I went missing? I never disappeared. I've always been here.