Chapter Twenty-Seven

I grab a serving of stew, with some questionable meat in it which I'm pretending is chicken, from the cook then go sit in-between Layla and Abigail and opposite Ava and Evelyne. I weirdly feel at home and like I belong here. It feels nice to have friends. Someone I can talk to. Someone I can share my thoughts and feelings with and make fun memories with. It feels nice. It feels really nice. Everyone has welcomed me into their group and made me feel at home. I've never felt like this before. It's starting to make me feel bad. Everyone's so nice and friendly. They don't deserve this. No. What am I doing? Satella is my mother and my queen and I must do as she says. I must follow her orders. I must do whatever it takes to help her and make her happy. That's what a good son does.

"You okay down there mate?" Tom asks as him, Peter and Mashie sit down with us to eat. Everyone's staring at me.

"Yeah sorry, I zoned out." I reply. "What we talking about?"

"I was asking everyone if they could pick to have any power what they would choose?" Layla says.

"I like the idea of having fire power like Kay," Ava states.

"I'd want to be able to fly." Kay says, softly.

"Where would you fly to?" Peter asks.

"Anywhere. I'd leave this place and never look back." Kay replies and I notice Peter doesn't look very happy with her response but is trying to hide it. What that's about? "What about you Jenson?"

"I'm not really sure. I don't really like having powers. People use you for them."

"Like your mum?" Ava asks, annoyingly.

"Yeah." I lie.

"I'd love to have super strength and be superhero." Tom says as he does a superhero stance.

"Super Annoying would be your name." Kay says. Everyone, including me, laughs but Tom doesn't look very impressed. This is fun.

Without warning, the ground starts shaking and we can hear a rumbling noise.