Chapter Twenty

It's so cold. I'm still not fully dry since we plunged into the icy depths. That was just one event after another. We haven't had a single second to process any of this or even have a moment to take a breath. We're walking to town as fast as we can, Kay said not to run we would just draw attention to ourselves.

We reach town and literally the first thing I notice is a wanted poster, there's one for each of us. They got them out quick. There's knights swarming the place. "What we going to do?" I start to freak out.

"Calm down Layla," Kay instructs as she pushes us into the shadows.

"We're wanted criminals. I can't believe we're actually wanted criminals." I can't calm myself down.

"We need to get off the streets before someone spots us," Ava says.

"We can hide at my father's black smith's, he's not there" Peter states. We do as Peter suggests and quickly head to his father's work.

We stop around the corner in a dark alley, making extra sure we stay hidden in the shadows. I feel like I've been holding my breath the entire time. The blacksmiths is across a Main Street in another alley. "How are we going to get across without being seen?" Jenson asks.

"We'd be spotted immediately; we do stand out like little pigs." The princess added. It may be night-time but town is crawling with knights.

"Peter is the shop unlocked?" Kay asks.

"Most likely, I'm always forgetting to lock it."

Kay didn't reply and took a deep breath. She grabbed a hold of her necklace and just like she vanished. Peter, Jenson and Evelyne look really confused and look around for her. Me and Ava know exactly what she's done. She's used her charm. Her necklace gives her the ability to teleport between shadows. It's so cool. Ava has a charm that's a ring, it allows her to summon creatures, I'm pretty sure she can even summon monsters which is terrifying. I have a staff that can produce a blinding light. I wonder if the others have a charm. The princess probably does considering she's royalty, usually rich people or people of importance have one. Kay reappears at the door of the blacksmiths. Luckily, the front door is in a shadow. She opens, the front door and heads inside.

A few seconds later, she appears back with us. "How did you just do that? You don't have the power of teleportation." Jenson asks, very confused.

"None of your business you butthead." Kay says as she rolls her eyes.

"You're the butthead." Jenson taunts back.

"You're both buttheads so shut up." Ava shouts. "Now what genius?"

"I can teleport us all over." Kay says which makes our eyes widen.

"You're kidding right?" Peter says.

"I think I can do it." Kay says, nervously. If Kay doesn't fully think she can how are we supposed to trust her?

"You think? You think?" Ava shouts. "We're going to die."

"Trust me. Just hold on to me." Kay says. Peter is in the first one to grab Kay's arm. We all soon do the same. I'm the last one to do so as I'm slightly panicking and my mind is over thinking and going to the worst places and imagining the worst-case scenarios.

Once again Kay grabs a hold of her charm and we teleport into the blacksmiths. It made me feel so dizzy. I am never doing that again. That was horrible. I think everyone else feels the same. Jenson even looks a bit pale and has to sit down. "I can't believe this is happening, a few weeks ago I was just a normal princess and now I'm on the run and my father is dead. My family is cursed." The princess cries and drops to the floor.

"It'll be okay." Ava goes to Evelyne and strokes her back to comfort her.

"Hey, you've still got me. We're family." Jenson says and everyone, especially Evelyne, gives him a weird look. I forget that Jenson is the princess' cousin. Satella married into the royalty and gave King Jack two children, Jenson and his sister, before he died. There's rumours that she killed him in order to become queen but hadn't realised that she wasn't next in line but in fact their daughter was. The daughter died not long after and again it's rumoured that Satella killed her but once she died the crown went to the current king as Jenson abdicated.

"Really you moron?" Kay stated.

"But first we need to find a more permanent place." Jenson informs, quickly changing the subject.

"Peter's dad owns this place and the queen knows that. She knows all of your families and where they live."

"We can cross going home off our list then," Ava replies.

"Oh god my dad is still at the castle," I blurt.

"The queen probably has him locked up, along with all of your families." Jenson informs.

"Oh no my brothers." Ava said, sarcastically.

"I know somewhere we could go but I'm not sure you'd like it." Kay says which kind of scares me.

"Then no." Ava snaps.

"Trust me the queen won't be able to find us there, it's completely hidden." Kay tries to reassure us.

"I don't trust you." Ava shouts.

"I don't trust her either." Jenson says.

"Shut up." Kay shouts at Jenson.

"How can we trust you when we don't even know you? We thought we knew you but you're a stranger. You can't expect us to trust you. You didn't even tell us your real name. We don't know who you are." Ava argues.

"What do you mean you don't really know who she is?" Peter asks, confused.

"When I started living on the streets I made a fake identity to protect myself. I didn't tell them to protect myself." Kay moans. "And they don't need to know everything about me."

"It's okay, I trust you." Peter reassures.

"So do I." I add. Kay must have good reasons to want to hide who she really is and we have to respect her decision.

"Good so can we go?" Kay asks.

"Fine." Ava reluctantly agrees. Kay heads out of the back door that leads to back alley where luckily there's no knights out there. We follow.

We've been sneaking around for twenty minutes when Kay finally stops, opens a drain and motions for us to go down. We peak our heads in and no thank you. It's pitch black and I really don't want to find out what's down there. "I'm not going down there, it's creepy and disgusting." The princess complains. Kay rolls her eyes and climbs down. Everyone slowly starts to climb down as well. I can't believe I'm going to do this. This is the worst night of my life and also the grossest. It's extremely dark so Kay lights a flame in her hand. Peter seems impressed and stares at her in amazement. "Finally got your powers under control then," Peter laughs and Kay smiles proudly back.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

Kay looks back at me and smirks, "you'll see."