CHAPTER NINE

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER NINE

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Five years. Five years of being married to Aegon Targaryen, second of his name. And in those five years, not once had Alaenys been with child. It was partly due to lack of trying. Aegon drowned himself mostly into his cups, and whenever he did try, it was often against Alaenys will. But what could she say? Nothing. For they'd have her head before she could even speak. Her mother had been on Dragonstone, her grandsire and King was too ill to even try and go against the Hightowers.

Which caused Alaenys to spend most of her times in the Godswood, praying to the Mother for a child, even if they were to be born on the harsh circumstances of Aegon's drunkenness. "You spend your days here often" Queen Alicent said, as she joined her good daughter. "It's the only place to pray peacefully, Your Grace" Alaenys said, the life had been drained from her. At the young age of 20, her life seemed to be doomed already. "What do you pray for, Princess?" Alicent asked as she looked at Alaenys' silver hair. "A child, a son" Alaenys said before she stood up, ready to leave, not seeking the company of the Queen.

"Are you to join us? For Prince Aemond's name day tourney?" Alicent asked. Alaenys looked at her. "Of course, Your Grace" she said, bowing slightly before leaving again. She played the dutiful wife; she tried her best. She placed a smile on her face whenever she was with her husband in public and laid there whenever Aegon did what he could when he was drunk.

Her spirit had been long broken, and she could barely seek joy in riding Naela, who had grown larger than the other dragons, all except Vhagar. Her only friend, and good-sister, Helaena had left to join her now husband Daeron in Oldtown, with their three children; Elaena, Baelon, and Aerion, they had been the cutest things, and Alaenys had wished her good-sister all the luck.

Alaenys, in her signature green dress, walked into the outer courtyard, watching the men train, all except Aegon, who had probably found another whore to bury himself in. Ser Criston Cole was still training the men, and she hated the sight of him. He had currently been training Prince Aemond, who had grown tall and strong in the last five years, taller than his older brother, and as strong as his Dragon, Vhagar.

Alaenys watched as Cole fought Aemond, his Morningstar swinging around, hitting the shield of the Prince. She wished her passions returned to her, but with no one in court on her side, not her King, not the Queen or the Hand, she had nothing to say it what should be ruled by Targaryens and Dragons, but instead is ruled by Greens from Oldtown.

Aemond had gotten good, since the last Alaenys saw him fight, she could even remember when that was, she believed Jace and Luke were here though. She had seen her brothers' once or twice the past five years, for the King's name day, and she had gone to Dragonstone twice, for the name day of her brothers and the birth of her mother's fourth son, Aegon, with Prince Daemon. Prince Daemon had offered her—the Princess he believed to be his—to come to Dragonstone, like she deserved. But she had declined, for if the Queen were to find out she would surely try and start a war.