CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

♤♢♧

Corlys walked into Alaenys' chambers in the early morrow, and he saw the mess the room had become, like a hurricane had gone through it. The mattress was crooked in the bedframe and none of the pillows were on the bed again, the table had been flipped on its side, and Alaenys sat in her chair in front of the fireplace, holding a small stuffed dragon in her hand.

"Jaehaera left her stuffy, so I wouldn't get lonely" Alaenys said not looking at who walked into her chambers, because she knew if it had been Aemond, he would have news faster to tell her about the Vale. She played with the small fake scales that was sewed on, she had made it long ago for when Lucerys was born because she had been convinced her mother would have another girl, mostly because she wanted a sister to share things with.

"I am sorry you had to send your children away, but my wife is dead, and you could have killed and ended the man who killed her" Corlys said looking at Alaenys. Alaenys laughed as she stood up. "I kill Aegon now, and then what? Will the Lords of the Seven Kingdoms bend their knee to me because there is no other choice? Or will they appoint Aemond, or Daeron to the throne because they are men, perhaps it's Jacaerys they give it to" Alaenys said and walked towards Corlys. "I am sorry about Rhaenys, I truly am, she was my blood as well. But she knew what she went into, she died a dragonrider's death that I could only hope for myself" Alaenys said as she looked at Corlys.

Alaenys held up a piece of parchment paper to him as he took it and she walked away. 'King Aegon, second of his name, names his Lord Commander and Hand of the King, Criston Cole, as Protector of the Realm' it read and Corlys looked at Alaenys. She looked back at him and walked towards the room which serves the Small Council, it overlooked the shore of Dragonstone.

Prince Daemon had been away, but Lord Corlys and his granddaughters remained. Baela was now the Mistress of Ships, officially now that Rhaenys had passed. The Grandmaester sat with them too, as did Lord Celtigar who was master of coin, and lastly Rhaena, who would be acting as Mistress of War. She looked at the men around her. It was three men, and three women, and she liked how equal her small council was, yet none of the men would ever know how it felt.

Prince Daeron entered the room and bowed before the Queen. Alaenys looked at him and nodded, Helaena stayed with the remainder of the children at Dragonstone, keeping a watchful eye on them. "I, and the other councilmen, would like to know why you didn't kill Aegon when you had the chance, or at least the Dowager Queen" Celtigar said looking at his Queen, who sat in the tallest chair, and overlooked another variant of the famous painted table, set alight by the servants on Alaenys command.

Alaenys looked at them, she sat sideways as she overlooked the table. "I was not born until after the Great Council of 101 AC, and I was not born when my mother was made heir" Alaenys said as she looked at them. "But I am very much aware of the outcome" Alaenys said. "What will happen when Aegon is wasted before I can get the support of each and every Lord and Lady of the Seven Kingdoms?" Alaenys asked. "Will they decide to support me, for the fact there is no one else suited for the Throne? Or will they pick someone else, of my brothers, my father, my husband, or his brother?" Alaenys asked and looked at the men before her.