CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Alaenys had told the King she wished to see her mother and perhaps find a dragon egg for Viserra, Viserys, although weak, had agreed to it, and told her to take both her sworn protectors with her. It almost seemed like Viserys forgot who her husband was, as she flew on Dragonback to Dragonstone, a ship with some of the belongings pulled by Naela as they made their way to Dragonstone.

Vhagar flew high above them, almost like a protector. Dragons knew, they always seemed to, and Vhagar seemed to understand the bond of Aemond with Alaenys, and the children, even though they hadn't been older than 2, it seems like she knew. They arrived at Dragonstone with a warm welcome of Rhaenyra, Daemon and all their children, except Baela who had become a ward on Driftmark.

"Welcome" Rhaenyra said and hugged her daughter. "Come" she said, linking their arms, as Aemond held Jaehaera and Aenar, while Alaenys carried Viserra in her arms. "Let me" Daemon said, taking Aenar from Aemond to ease it for him. Everyone walked inside where the maids had put out some food for the Targaryens. "How have you been?" Rhaenyra asked. "I'm fine, missing everyone though" Alaenys said, and her mother smiled. "We've missed you too" Rhaenyra said, as they were welcomed by Jace and Luke, followed by a little Joffrey running after his brothers. He had grown since the last time Alaenys saw him, and she felt sad she wouldn't see him grow daily.

"We are glad to see you again, sister" Jacaerys said as he carefully hugged her. Viserra didn't even seem to stir at the sudden loudness of the Targaryen family. "How is Viserra?" Jace asked, as he looked at his little niece. "She's perfect" Alaenys said. "Has her dragon egg hatched yet?" Daemon asked, but Alaenys shook her head. "No, we don't think it will" Alaenys said.

Everyone in the room, including Dragonstone Maesters, seemed to know the children belonged to Aemond, but Alaenys wasn't afraid of the talks of the Maesters of Dragonstone, none would betray her mother, that much she knew. Nor would ser Erryk, he had been kind and loyal to her for some years now.

"I assume you didn't just visit for the fun of it all" Rhaenyra said, looking from Aemond to her daughter. Aemond wouldn't have come unless it was something important. "How does a Valyrian wedding work?" Aemond then asked, surprising Rhaenyra, but not Daemon. "Do you plan on having one?" Daemon asked, holding Aenar in his arms, as he switched from the common tongue to High Valyrian. "Yes" Aemond said, not letting Daemon stand in his way of marrying Alaenys. "How would it be able, if I'm wed under the eye of the Seven to Aegon?" Alaenys asked her mother.

"We can always kill him" Daemon suggested, but Rhaenyra looked at him with a disapproving look. "We kill Aegon, and Alicent would rage war against us" Rhaenyra said, and Alaenys knew it to be true. "If it's consummated there is no real reason to annul it, but if you were wed in the tradition that is not your own, maybe" Rhaenyra said. "If I may, Princess, there is always a way to annul it, as long as it's done by a Stepton of that tradition" the Maester said. "I assume you do not have one from the Faith of the Seven here?" Alaenys said, sombre.