CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

♤♢♧

King Viserys wore half of a golden mask to cover the parts of his face which he had lost. He had sat down which some trouble before he looked upon everyone. "I must" he started taking deep breaths. "admit my confusion" Viserys said when he looked at everyone. "I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession" Viserys said, looking at everyone and Alaenys did everything to hold her smile.  She knew if the King showed up, favour would go to her mother and Jacaerys.

"The only one present who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys' wishes is the Princess Rhaenys" Viserys said, and everyone looked at Rhaenys. "Indeed, Your Grace" Rhaenys said, walking forward. Everyone seemed to hold their breaths, as they watched Princess Rhaenys.

"It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his trueborn son, Jacaerys Velaryon" Rhaenys said, and Rhaenyra held the hand of her eldest son. "His mind never changed" Rhaenys said and Alaenys smiled towards her brother. "Nor my support of him, as a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke, to Lord Corlys' granddaughters Baela and Rhaena" Rhaenys said, and Baela smiled at Jace as Rhaena held Luke's hand.

Helaena smiled too, she always liked weddings and feasts—at least if they ended well—and she liked Jace and Luke. "A proposal to which I heartily agree" Rhaenys said. Alaenys noticed Queen Alicent look away, as did the hand. "Well, the matter is settled" the King said, looking at everyone who was in the room. "Again" he said with slight annoyance. Alaenys smiled softly at the King, admiring how he had pulled himself out of bed to defend Rhaenyra's claim, but it also made her sad, because she had never seen him half of something like that for his other children. Perhaps that's why Aemond liked being on Dragonstone with her family because it was the only time it felt like a family.

Alaenys moved one hand behind her back, to hold Aemond's in comfort she didn't know was for him or herself, but she felt like she had to do it. "Don't speak" Helaena mumbled and Alaenys looked at her, wondering why she'd say that. It wasn't like her usual riddle when she was seeing one of her dragon dreams, it was clearer like a command.

"I hereby affirm Prince Jacaerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides" Viserys said. Rhaenys smiled at Rhaenyra before she stood with Baela again. "You break law..." Vaemond started, looking at the King. "and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir, as does your daughter do to her own daughter" Vaemond said, looking at Alaenys, who placed a protective hand on her belly. "Yet you dare tell me who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon?" Vaemond said looking at the King, who sighed in annoyance as in tiredness. "No" Vaemond said firmly, and Alaenys finally realised, Helaena was speaking to Vaemond. "I will not allow it" Vaemond said, holding himself straight as he looked at the Targaryens.