CHAPTER TWENTY

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER TWENTY

♤♧♢

Alaenys joined her children, siblings, and parents for dinner, smiling as she had everyone back in one room. In the morning everything would be tense, and she knew it, almost as if it would be her last moment of peace for a little while.

"Are you well?" Rhaenyra asked her daughter, she smiled sadly at her, as she knew it wasn't easy for Alaenys to be pregnant, near her term, and not be able to be with her husband, her true husband. "I am" Alaenys said, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding. "I feel like something will happen, like an oncoming storm that's about to lay waste to everything. A sense of doom perhaps" Alaenys said.

"Such dark thoughts for a mother pregnant with her 4th and maybe 5th child" Rhaenyra smiled and Alaenys smiled too, holding her mother's hand. "I didn't mean to bring down your mood, mother, I am trying to feel more at ease, I promise" she said, and her mother kissed her hands. "Why don't you go rest, I will look after the children, and perhaps your mind can be eased by your husband" Rhaenyra said and Alaenys nodded.

She stood up, excusing herself, as she kissed the top of her children's heads. She walked back to her room, and on her way, she was swiftly and discreetly joined by Aemond. "Everything alright?" he asked her, his hands on his back as he walked with her, as her sworn sword, while ser Erryk would look after the children. "A sense of doom is leaping over me, Aemond, and it's frightening me" she said and Aemond nodded.

"Whatever will happen tomorrow, know that I'll be by your side, no matter what they say" Aemond said. "You can't you know you can't" Alaenys said, it would blow their entire cover and it would probably not end well for either of them. "To the Seven Hells with them" Aemond said, stopping just before Alaenys' door. "I have been thinking too, and once your mother is Queen, what could they do to us? We would send Aegon to Essos, he would probably drink his way into an early grave, and we'd live on Dragonstone, with our children, until you ascend the throne" Aemond said, holding her cheek. "What wonderful dreams you have, but it won't lessen my worries for now" Alaenys said as she entered her room, Aemond following her.

"What do you think will happen? That they'll catch us? What could they do?" Aemond asked, looking at Alaenys. "It's not about that, it feels like our marriage will mean nothing compared to what's coming" Alaenys said. "There is a battle, still, at the stepstones, what if it becomes bigger, what if that's what I've been sensing. I haven't had dragon dreams since Viserra, but she had been having nightmares to the point she won't speak to anyone" Alaenys said, as tears appeared on her face.

"I don't want our baby girl to spend her life haunted by dreams she cannot stop or control, Aemond" Alaenys said, and Aemond's body relaxed, finally understanding where her fear and sense of doom came from. It was not because of whatever was going to happen, it was about what would happen to their children.