CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THE FIRE BETRAYAL

⎯THE FIRE BETRAYAL

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

☀︎☀︎☀︎

The month following the birth of the twins Princes Alaenys was easing herself back into the regular life of court, with Aemond by her side whenever she needed. She had wondered if people started to suspect, but none would speak it to her face, or even give her odd looks, so she didn't care anymore.

Her brothers, Jace and Luke, had flown with their Dragons to King's Landing to welcome the twins and see their sister. Alaenys was glad to see them and tried to spend most of her time with them or her children. The midwives had offered to take care of the children, but she refused, she didn't have anyone in King's Landing, except for the twins and Aemond, she was not going to let anyone else raise them but her.

Both Aenar and Jaehaera were blessed with the Valyrian looks, silver hair and purple eyes, although she would argue Aenar's had been more vibrant than Jaehaera's. She left to hold the two babes in her arms, as they would fall asleep, either for their nap or for the night.

"Do you think I could teach them how to fly their dragons?" Luke had asked as she looked at the small bundles in Alaenys' arms. "Maybe, but their eggs haven't hatched yet, and we don't even know if they even will" she said as she looked at her brother. Lucerys smiled at the babes, loving his little niece and nephew already. "I hope they do" Lucerys said, and looked at his sister, whose shadow seemed to be Aemond.

Aemond had not like having to spend his time with Lucerys, after what had happened, but he loved Alaenys enough to bear it. Aemond has always been quite unforgiving, and while he did not blame Luke for everything, he did after all punch Baela, and attack Jace, he did not forgive the lost eye. That had been something Aemond thought could have been avoided, even when everything went down.

Aemond did leave Alaenys in the presence of her brothers while he looked after the twins, with the maids helping them when they cried. He was the Knight that protected them, he had proclaimed, and given everyone assumed Aemond as the Uncle, they had thought it only logical for him to protect the children, with Aenar being the Heir of Alaenys. Heirs must be protected, and to have the strongest knight in the bold and wilful Prince Aemond made all the sense to the maids.

"Prince Aemond seems to love your company" Jace said, as the two of them spend some time alone. It had been them alone for 5 years until Luke had been born, and their bond had been a little stronger for it, but the both of them would rage war for Lucerys and they knew it. "Brother" Alaenys warned. "I am merely saying, I remember how mother used to look at ser Harwin, you look like that" Jace said, and she knew he meant Aemond. But Jace was smart enough to not mention the name in the same sentence. "At least they would have the silver hair" Jace joked and ruffled his own dark locks. "You know mother never meant harm with it" Alaenys defended her mother, now with her own paramour, so to speak, she understood her mother even more. "I know, and he protected us and loved us, just as father did" Jace said.