Chapter 1: The Boy

Also Forgot to Mention, any A/N is not mine. Those were jdthebeast.

A/n: This came out a little earlier than expected. But I got the first chapter all written and edited so I was like, why not. I hope you all enjoy it!

A/n: Edit: After reading the "No Regrets" Manga, I now know that Levi didn't join the scouts until 844. But for the sake of the story, I'm going to say he joined in 839.

In the year 839, the scout regiment was sent out on another expedition beyond the safety of wall Maria to set up a base of operations for further exploration. Captain Erwin and his squad were sent to the southeast quadrant to clear out any Titans that present a threat to the main convoy. This led them into a large expanse of forest, known as the Shi Forest.

Erwin was atop his horse, leading his squad into the thickly forested area he was tasked to clear. His blue eyes scanned the trees, watching out for any Titans that were lurking around, waiting to pounce on them.

As they moved forward down the path, his second in command along with his best Titan killer, Hanji and Levi, rode up beside him.

Hanji: Captain, if I may! This forest is a death trap! There could be Titans around any bend. We won't even see them coming!

Levi: She's right. We're riding to our doom.

Erwin: We were given a job to do. (Looking back at them) Do any of you have the plan to die today?

They stayed silent and shook their heads no.

Erwin: That's what I thought. We will not die. . . not today.

As they continued to ride, they stumbled across a large clearing. Five 12-meter Titans were all gathering around the center, attracted to something. Erwin stared wide-eyed, confused. Never has he seen Titans attracted to something other than humans before. But there were no other humans out there other than them. . . right?

Erwin: Attack formation! Chop these bastards down to size!

His Squad: SIR!

Levi was the first to attack, as always. Something within him seems to scream for the release of adrenaline. It's fascinating to watch. He cut down the first Titan before anyone else could react. The others soon sprang into action, and quickly all the Titans fell. Erwin, who never left his horse during the encounter, trotted over to the center of the clearing.

Erwin: (Thoughts) I wonder what has gotten you five so interested in this specific spot?

The rest of the squad all clung to different tree trunks surrounding the clearing with their ODM gear. The blood of the Titans they killed sizzled off their skin. Erwin's horse neighed as it drew closer to the corpses of the Titans.

Erwin: (Stroking his steed's fur) Easy, easy. They're already dead. There is no need to be afraid.

As he was calming his horse, a bright flash of light in the center of the clearing blinded him along with the rest of his comrades.

Lenik: Ah, what the hell is that!?

Hanji: Is it a Titan!?

Erwin covered his eyes from the very bright flash. Along with the light came a wave of heat, kind of like Titan heat, but it felt. . . different.

Eld: It is a Titan! We should kill it!

Erwin: (Shouting out to his squad) NO!

They all gasped just as the light began to fade and the heat subsided. Erwin jumped down from his horse and squinted to try to get a glimpse at what is residing in the center of the clearing. ODM gear was fired, and Levi zipped down beside him, looking like his typical stoic self.