Chapter Twenty-Six

MARY-KATE'S POV

July 4th 2022 - France, Paris - Carrousel du Louvre

I walk out on the stage holding my sister's hand tight, I look around the large room filled with influential people and immediately I'm overwhelmed. That's a lie I've been overwhelmed all day, show days are always stressful. There's just so many things that can go wrong. Nothing had thankfully it all ran smoothly but that doesn't mean I wasn't stressed all day. And now I'm faced with critics, celebrities, other designers and about 2 dozen flashing cameras and my heart begins to hammer violently against my chest.

"We did it," Ashley whispers to me. I looked over at her and she was smiling, pride filling her eyes as she looked out ahead of us. I painted the best smile on my face that I could and continued to walk to the end of the runway. Ashley did the mini speech. I add my part trying my best to keep my voice steady and not stumble over my words. Lizzie made it easier, she was sitting front row with her cute little smile, her eyes wide as she looked at us. She brought me comfort and I was grateful she took time out of her busy schedule to come and watch us showcase our work.

I immediately pulled my sister into a tight hug when we stepped off the stage, the room was chaotic as everyone celebrated the end of a successful show. "I'm so proud of us!" She says and I squeezed her tighter for a moment not trusting my voice to talk. It may seem silly to be this emotional but I had been in a dark place a few years back and I didn't think I'd ever complete a show this big without the help of mind altering substances to bring me a blanket of peace. Yes, the urge was there but I didn't give into it. I didn't even come close to giving into it like I had done in the upcoming years. So I was emotional that I finished this show with a clear head, and no toxic thoughts trying to trick me into giving up.

We wrapped up with a team hug and then we got to work tidying the place up. By we I mean the team Ashley and I were busy chatting in the corner of the room with our family. They were all gushing over how great the collection is and how smoothly the show went. I scanned the room seeing models taking their hair out and cleansing their faces, our interns carefully packing the clothing in their dust bags and boxes, photographers capturing the moments and I realised I haven't seen Blue all day. I spot her carefully putting away the final look that we showed, a dress that was the showstopper so people are saying. She handled the fabric so delicately as if it would turn to dust if she used too much pressure as she folded it into the dust bag. She still had a headset on from earlier that she was using to coordinate the show.

"Where has she been all day?" I asked Ashley. "Who?" She asked before following my gaze. "She's been bouncing around like a ball in a pinball machine today." I frown. "How do you think this ran so smoothly? She's our fairy Godmother. I swear dad, best hire we've ever done," Ashley tells the group as she turns back. "Is she the girl you brought to your birthday?" Mum asked me and I nodded. "I'm going to go say hello," She excused herself, Lizzie trailing along behind her.

I watched the interaction no longer interested in talking business with my father and Ashley. When Blue saw them her face lit up and she hugged my mum who might have held her a little too tight, though Blue didn't say anything. Lizzie and her began talking and laughing immediately after they hugged. I didn't realise how well they had originally hit it off. Lizzie mentioned she had texted her a few times but I didn't think they were close or knew each other well enough to be holding each other's wrists as they laugh at something, mum chuckled too but she didn't see as much amusement as the girls did. "Well when you're done here we can go grab something to eat... and then stop by to watch a few shows," Dad tells us as I zone back into the conversation at the promise of food. "How does that sound, Mary-Kate?" He asked me directly and I nodded smiling at him. "Sounds perfect. We can meet you at your hotel if you want to leave?" "We'll hang around, your mother wants to watch the YSL show. It starts in 15 minutes." I nodded. "Jarnie! Jarnie!" He called as he walked away.