Chapter Forty-Three

April 18th 2023 - New York City - 

Ignoring the picture was the best thing MK and I could have done. It was old news by the next day some other celebrity drama taking centre stage. She was a little worried about the outside pressure and what that would do to this very new relationship we were trying to navigate. I tried to reassure her as much as I possibly could. Did I enjoy having my best friend alert me that a picture of me and the girl I'm seeing was circling the news outlets? No I didn't but is it something I knew I'd have to get used to especially when we go public for at least the first few months.

We went to lunch with her parents today, Jarnie apologised for what she had said. Though it didn't make MK feel any better about what had happened. I could tell it was still playing on her mind over lunch. She wasn't as relaxed as she normally is around me. Typically MK would be lent against me, her head on my shoulder. But she sat up straight, she wasn't as talkative as she normally was. Her responses to her parents' questions were calculated and tame. Since the baseball game she kept going on about being perfect. She described everything as perfect. "I have to be perfect" is all she kept muttering when she worked this past week. She hasn't been happy with any of her work and she was slowly spiralling. I was hoping that her mothers apology would allow her to move past this. I hated seeing her be so hard on herself.

I was walking her home when Jazz texted me telling me she was heading to my place. I completely forgot we were hanging out there tonight. Western and a few of our other friends were going to be there too. We were planning on making dinner and having a chill movie night. "Who's that?" MK asked casually as I slipped my hand out of hers to quickly text Jazz back to let her know I was in the city and wouldn't be home for a while. She of course had a spear key to the apartment so she wouldn't be bothered all that much about it. "Jazz, she was letting me know her and Western was on her way to my place." She tried to hide her pout but I caught it. "You should come... We're going to cook dinner and watch movies." She shakes her head. "You can stay over. Sage hasn't been home in a few days..." I tried to convince her. "I'm not bothered if Sage is there. You know that." It's me that is bothered. MK doesn't need more time around Sage; it only reminds her of how much she dislikes him. Also I just want her to be safe and I don't feel safe there and it's my home so how is she meant to be safe. "Then come... We can pick your stuff up whilst we're here." I told her, we were basically at her building, we might as well get her things so she can at least be comfortable at my place and then head to Brooklyn.

"You're hanging out with your friends... I don't want to be that girl." I chuckled. "My friends like you... Western will be there and you two got on well last time." "Blue, hang out with your friends without me." "But I want you there." I put my hand around her waist pulling her closer to me. "Please." I pecked her cheek. "Please." I pecked her cheek again. She was giggling trying to squirm away from me. "You always complain about me not letting you come over." She looked up at me smiling. I lent in to peck her lips. "I don't want to intrude." "You won't be."

—------------

April 18th 2023 - Brooklyn - Sage and Blue's Apartment

"Your brothers home." I rolled my eyes. "The one night I have people over he decides to come home." "He's just in the lounge." I nodded and walked through to the lounge, leaving MK with Jazz in the hall.

"Hey." He looked over at me, his eyes were vancent and a lazy smile was spread across his lips. "What are you doing here?" "I told you I was having friends over." "Sure." He leant back on the sofa. "Can I join?" I looked over my shoulder, he seemed pretty calm right now. But his behaviour was always unpredictable. I was living in fear of when he'd switch. "Sure." He went into his pocket. "But no drugs... MK is here." "You treat her like a child." "No, I treat her like my girlfriend, someone I want to protect. Jazz will call your bullshit out MK won't." He rolled his eyes and tossed the baggy on the end table. "The apartment looks good." I nodded. "Dad came over to help put the bookcase up and James fixed the shower that you broke." "Thanks."