6: different personalities

Mollie (pov)

I was woken up by mom banging on my door saying there's someone outside for me. Who do I know would be up at half past seven in the morning on a holiday? I got out of bed and grabbed my robe since I didn't want the person to keep me waiting any longer. I opened the front door and it's Steve of all people. I did a double take because I thought I was hallucinating.

His back was facing me when I opened the door. "Hey Steve. What are you doing here? It's so early in the morning."

He turned around seeing I was still in my pajamas. He had a look on his face that I couldn't read but it still said so much. "Actually I wanted to talk to you about something I saw last night. Do you mind putting on some clothes so we can talk while I pick up Tommy and Carol."

"Uhm, sure, yeah. Just- give me like fifteen minutes. You want breakfast while you wait? I think my mom is making pancakes."

"Sure, pancakes sound nice. Thanks," he said with a newly formed smile on his face.

I introduced Steve to mom and they made small talk while I got freshened up and dressed in my typical jeans, t-shirt, converse and jacket. I made my way to the kitchen and grabbed a couple pancakes to go, gave my mom a thank you and rushed Steve out the door. I was about to close the front door when mom called my name.

"Mollie, be safe today, okay. He seems like a nice boy but I don't want you to do anything-"

"Woah mom, what are you getting at? That's Nancy's boyfriend, he's just a friend. There's nothing to worry about."

"Oh, really? I had the impression he was gonna take you on a date."

"Gross mom. Can I go now please?"

"Yes. but still, be careful. I love you."

"Love you too, mom."

I made my way down the driveway and got into the passenger seat of his car. Said my mom seemed nice. I told him that she thought that he was taking me out on a date.

He let out a bit of nervous laughter. "What'd you tell her?"

I thought I'd mess with him, just to see what kind of reaction I could get. "I said yes. Go easy on me, this is my first date."

He had a scared look on his face as it got paler than usual. "Mollie, what the hell. Why would you say that?"

"Oh, relax. I was just messing with you. Look, you're a nice guy, but I don't think guys like you would be into someone like me."

He let out a sigh of relief and some laughter to ease his tensions. "Well, thank you. And you're wrong, because I can name about a handful who'd want to date you."

"Date me or sleep with me? There's a difference."

A blank look came across his face, that's what I thought.

"So, you wanted to talk to me about something. Other than my dating life."

He started his car and drove down to get Tommy and Carol. He told me that he was worried about Nancy last night since she didn't go to the movies with him. But when he went to check in on her, he saw her and Jonathan together in her room alone. I could tell he was jealous towards Jonathan the way he was talking about it, so I asked if he talked to Nancy yet. Shocking, he hadn't. He said Carol and Tommy had something planned but no one has told me what it was they planned. Great, if Nancy or Jonathan gets mad at me, I'll put everyone in my bad books.

I moved into the back seats with Carol and Tommy taking the passenger side. Carol caught me up to speed, partially, on the plan. I didn't like it. I wanted to find Nancy or Jonathan just so I wouldn't be a part of this mess. Carol and Nicole practically forced me to stay and threatened me to put all the blame on me if I left. They're so fucked in the head.