19: promise rings

Mollie (pov)

Hearing my mom call my name was the first thing I heard waking up this morning. Who in the world would be calling me at eight in the morning? I picked up the phone that I have in my room that I got for my birthday.

"Hello," I said into the phone.

"Good morning sweetheart. How'd you sleep," Eddie said from the other end.

"Pretty good actually. Why are you up so early? Or did you not sleep at all last night?"

"Uhm, yes. Anyway, you're working today right?"

"Yeah, in like two hours. You want to drive me or something?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. I feel like I need to do some shopping there."

"Eddie Munson shopping at the mall, a new breakthrough," I said laughing. "Dustin's gonna be tagging along if you're okay with it. I promised him he'd hang out with Steve while I'm at work."

"No, I don't mind. I'll meet the two of you in half an hour, yeah?"

"Yeah, we'll see you then. Love you Ed's."

"I love you too, rockstar."

I hung up the phone and got ready for the day. The work uniform is jeans and any band tee we have. I went with my Def Leppard High n' Dry tour t-shirt.

"Hey, Dusty, Eddie's gonna be here soon. Get ready," I said through his closed bedroom door. I heard a disgruntled 'okay.'

Then I told him he had ten minutes. From all the noise on the other side of the door, it told me that he's up and getting ready fast. I grabbed my bag and waited for him just outside the front door, he was out five minutes later.

Eddie was right on time today. Which was slightly unusual, he's either really early or slightly late. He was only ever on time for the most important things like his gig's at The Hideout and the D&D meetings. Good to know that I'm starting to get on that list only after dating him for eight months.

The ride to the mall wasn't too eventful. Just the three of us trying to talk over the music Eddie is always blasting. Once we arrived, Dustin headed straight for Scoops Ahoy while Eddie and I walked together hand in hand as usual.

The two of us greeted my manager and then Eddie roamed around the store looking at anything and everything while I got set up at the register. I could briefly hear my manager talking to Eddie about getting a job here since he spends a lot of time here. Eddie declined and then set off towards the other stores for the shopping he needed to do.

"Hey, Mollie. Does he have an aversion to like having an hourly paid job or something? 'Cause every time I try to get him a job here he always says no," the manager, David, said.

"Uhm, yeah. A little bit. And if you keep asking, it's gonna be the same answer every time. Trust me, it's gonna go nowhere. The Hideout pays him and his band well enough anyway," I say lying again about how Eddie gets most of his money.

"Oh, yeah. I always forget about the Hideout. I'm hardly ever on that side of town."

"They do gigs almost every Tuesday. I don't think that's too much of an inconvenience for you is it? They're really great."

"Yeah. I'll try to stop by. What's the band's name again?"

"Corroded Coffin," I say with a proud smile.

"Sick name. Right, get to work. I'll be in the back."

And so I got to work. Just standing behind the register and occasionally walking the store seeing if anything needed to be put back in their proper place.