27: valentines staycation

Mollie (pov)

October 1985

I had my tv on just for noise in the background when I heard about the story someone was doing on the fire at the mall and all the conspiracies happening. I already knew most of it was gonna be bullshit.

Today Dustin and Eddie were at my place with me talking about the next D&D meeting. I couldn't even tell who was more excited about it, both of them were on the same playing field with the passion of the game. Even though Eddie is the dungeon master he still let Dustin put in an idea or two in his campaigns, it was sweet of him and they were able to make a bond over it.

"Some believe a rise in Satanism is to blame. To find out, tune in tonight at 8:00 pm for 'Horror in the Heartland'. On Cutting Edge."

The three of us looked up at the tv when that line played out. A bunch of magazines and guidebooks for Dungeons and Dragons were spread out. We all know that D&D is far from what people think it is from an outsider's point of view but no one around here wouldn't even think to listen to us.

~~

The Byers were moving out of state today, almost everyone helped them get their things into the moving van. It sucked having them to leave. I joked that Jonathan could live with me but apart of me knew that he wouldn't leave his family in a million years. Especially after all the shit they've been through.

Max and Lucas were singing Never Ending Story just to poke fun at Dustin and Suzie. I let it keep on going since I found it a little funny.

"You guys are so funny, you should be on Carson," Dustin said.

"Can we just hear your rendition," Max asked.

"No."

"Please? Just one verse?"

"No. No way. It's reserved for Suzie's ears and Suzie's ears alone."

"Well, Dusty it's not really reserved for her anymore if everyone's heard it," I said, teasing him. "I'm just saying."

"Thanks, Mollie, you're so supportive."

"You're welcome. You two need a ride home? Max, Lucas?"

"Yes, please," Max answered.

Since she and her mom moved into the trailer park she's been coming over to my place to get away from a lot of things. And since my couch has a pull out bed she usually spends the night.

I stood in the middle of the living room. In the past five years, Jonathan and I made so many memories just in this room alone, it'll be hard to leave the place behind.

I was the last one in the house just wanting to hold onto it and waiting for Jonathan to notice.

"Molls," Jonathan said. "I'm pretty sure the new owners wouldn't like some random girl in their house."

"Yeah, I know. I'm just reminiscing one last time."

"I'm gonna miss you. I know we didn't get to hang out much during the summer but uh, I just wanted to let you know that you're still gonna be my best friend. Even all the way in California."

"Good, because you're still gonna be my best friend too. I can try to call you everyone once in a while, yeah?"

"For sure. And you have the address if you need to send a letter or a card or something."

"Yep. I'm gonna miss you so much J," I said, pulling him in for one last hug.

A group of us watched as they left in the U-Haul and Jonathan's car. It's a bittersweet moment, watching the people you love the most having to leave.