24: the battle of starcourt mall

Mollie (pov)

I had to walk away to get Dustin and Erica. I couldn't eavesdrop on their conversation anymore. When Steve dropped my name it hit something deep in my heart. I can't really tell how I feel about all this. I wouldn't in the slightest clue know how to talk to anyone about this. I mean I could talk to Nancy about this but she'd probably feel hurt that her ex has, or had, a crush on me.

Then there's mom. But she'd probably give me some half bullshit advice. She likes Eddie as my boyfriend, I know she does but I can never let go of the feeling that's been hanging over my head saying that she secretly wishes I'd go for someone like Steve since he'll be more successful and have a more stable career in the future.

Then there's Eddie. My first everything; first boyfriend and my first time. Would it be appropriate to even tell him that another guy has such strong feelings for me the same way I know he does for me?

Once I found the kids, we went straight to the bathroom where they still sat on the ground, just laughing about something. I couldn't look Steve in the eyes right now, so many emotions were looming over my head. I'm just glad they're both okay.

"All right guys, we need to get out of here. I'm pretty sure the Russians are still searching for us," I said.

"I completely agree," Dustin said.

We made our way out of the bathroom and into the crowd of people coming out from the movies.

"Well that worked," Erica said.

"Of course it worked. Now we just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebes, and home sweet home, here we come."

"Uh, Dustin," Steve said.

"What?"

"Yeah, we might not want to go to your house."

"Why not," I asked.

"Well, I might have told them your full names."

"What the fuck, Steve?"

"I'm sorry. I was drugged."

"You could've tried hard enough to resist. I wouldn't spill my secrets even if I was drugged."

"Oh, yeah, that's easy for you to say, Molls. But it was from the Russians and not maijuana. Those were two completely different things."

"The only reason I'm not slapping you right now, Steve, is because there's bigger issues currently. Be lucky."

When we turned the corner for the entrance, there they were. The Russians were searching through other people's bags like they were mall security. We quickly turned around and ran. We didn't make it far since the escalators were blocked off. The separation between the sets of moving stairs were too narrow for me so I ran down the stairs as fast as I could while everyone else slid down.

We found a hiding spot behind one of the front counters in the food court. I couldn't help but hold my breath. When Steve's shoe made the tiniest noise, I knew we were done for. Even though the Russians were silent I could feel they were closing in on us like a predator.

The car alarm from the display car going off cut off any silence left in the building. I was so close to screaming, thankfully Robin came to my rescue and covered my mouth since she was right next to me.

The five of us got up from behind the counter to see what happened, hearing it wasn't enough. The car was flung across the court and with it the men were killed with ease.

I could see a familiar figure on the upper level. After them was a group of people I could recognise like the back of my hand.

"You flung that thing like a Hot Wheel," Dustin exclaimed and gave Mike and El a hug.