Chapter 20 Scales & Serpent Tails

Song Inspiration: Be With You (From Aphmau's MyStreet Series)

Artist: Mondays feat. Lucy

[WARNING! I'm rating this chapter as PG-13 for some darker scenes near the end just to be safe.]

~~~~~~~~

All Jay could see was darkness. He had been walking in what seemed to be a void of empty space. Then all of a sudden, there was a bright flash. 

Jay lifted his arms, shielding his eyes from the light. He turned his body and was greeted with yet another flashing light. No matter where he looked, the flashes kept coming and coming.

Jay Gordon! Look over here!

Oh my gosh it's him!

Jay! Can I get your autograph!?

When Jay opened his eyes again, he was overwhelmed by brand new surroundings. He was on a red carpet with crowds of paparazzi and fans on both sides, all held back by a velvet rope. Hundreds of people chanted his name and screamed with excitement. 

The teen blinked a few times, adjusting his gaze to the brightness. He looked down at himself to see he wore a navy blue tuxedo. He felt his head to feel his wild curls were straightened and tamed. When he slid his hand down to his face, he could feel the concealer he'd always used to cover his freckles. 

Careful, don't want to smudge your makeup.

Jay flinched by how close the voice sounded. He turned his head to find Jessica, his co-star on the tv show. Her brown hair was tied up in a bun with two strands of curled hair laid loose on both sides of her face. Her light pink dress complimented her skin and warm smile as she wrapped her arms around one of Jay's arms. 

Gotta smile for the cameras, BlueJay.

The actor panicked. He was at a loss for words. Wasn't he just on the Destiny's Bounty? How did he get here? Where was...

Images of Nya came to his mind. Memories of her falling through the air and over the railing haunted him. Jay pulled away from Jessica and attempted to run in the opposite direction of the crowd.

He then felt a hand clasp onto his wrist. 

Where are you going?

Jay whipped his head back around to see Jessica. Her smile had disappeared. She carried a blank expression and stood up straight like a statue. The actor tried to pull his hand free, but his co-star was holding him in place with minimum effort.

You can't just run away, BlueJay. You think just because you gained some new powers that you could just escape this life?

Jay began to sweat. Panic filled the teen's eyes as the crowd behind Jessica grew in size. They towered over the actor. They became shadows of their former selves with their eye sockets and mouths being the only ray of light left on them. They smiled wide and continued to flash their cameras. 

As soon as you go back to Ninjago City, you're going to do what you're told and that's that. You are going to be a star, Jay, just like me!

Horror flashed across Jay's face when Jessica's voice began to change. It became deeper, matching the same tone as his father.

Acting is in your blood, son! I've given you too much for you to just throw it all away and go play hero!

Jay desperately pulled at his arm, wishing he could run away. His breathing quickened. He began to pant while his body trembled.

He then heard screaming in the background. The voices of his friends, crying out to him for help.

Nya's scream carried on even louder to the point it almost burst Jay's eardrum. Jessica death gripped his wrist. Her eyes flashed red with rage. Jay shouted for freedom, but no sound left his mouth.