Chapter 36 - Are Rules Meant to be Broken?

Shay's POV

Friday morning my wolf was wired; the scent of Cale all over Liz when she returned from their date, had driven me crazy all night; I know that it's a competition and the other girls are going to spend time with him, and get close to him, but it didn't change the fact that it pissed me straight the fuck off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at Liz, she's doing the same thing I would've been doing if I were on that date last night, but damn, it hurts.

It hurts knowing that Cale is getting close to the other girls, it hurts knowing that he could be developing deeper feelings for them with each passing day. The same way I'm developing deeper feelings for him, the same way I'm sure Liz is too; the next five weeks couldn't go by any faster! Knowing that I still had a good four hours before I needed to be at my sparing session, I decided to take a run to the pond to see if I could calm myself down a bit before I faced off with Tony and he received the blunt end of my emotional mess of feelings.

The sun was warm today, despite the slightly cooler air temp from the morning and the approaching winter; the rock absorbed the heat, and I laid down flat on my stomach near the edge so I could peer over at the fish below. California weather wasn't much different from Arizona, I think it may rain here a bit more than back home, the landscape is more lush, maybe due to the fact that it's a bit more north and the ocean provides a little humidity for the plant life to thrive on. Although I haven't been out of the town, for all I know the rest of the state could be vast deserts like I'm used to back home, I made a mental note to travel more - or at all, for that matter - when I get back home. I shake my head at the thought, mentally, after last night, I was already giving up on the idea of winning this thing; there was no way that Cale was going to pick me over the other girls. If the smile on Liz's face when she came back home last night was anything to judge by, they had a great time together, and who could blame them; I could, but I shouldn't. Fuck The Ringing!

"Is there room for two?" I yelped out a startled half scream at Cales voice; I was so wound up in my own mental turmoil that I hadn't heard or smelled him approach. I'm way off my game, I need to get my shit together.

"Sure" I wiggled my body over a few inches to give him a little more space and glanced over my shoulder to see him pulling his shirt over his head to reveal his delicious, perfectly sculpted, should be fucking illegal to possess, abs. Was it necessary to undress, no, was I going to complain, also no.

"You ready to kick Tony's ass today, or what?" Cale settled himself onto his belly next to me and looked over the edge of the cliff as he spoke; he glanced in my direction after I didn't answer right away. It had nothing to do with the fact that I was entranced by the thick muscles that ran down his arms as he slid them under his chin, and everything to do with, well, okay, it was the muscles. Damn it.

"I wish," I rolled my eyes at the idea. "I'm going to recommend that you have him tested for roids, because his speed and stamina are unworldly. I heard the long-term side effects can have traumatic effects!" I didn't actually think Tony was taking steroids but damn the guy could fight and I was weeks, if not months, away in training, to even stand a chance at getting him to tap out.

"I'll take that into consideration," he answered with a wink as he rolled his body to one side; resting his head in one hand and traced a vein of the rock below us with the other. The position gave me a perfect view of the droolworthy abs, and the tiny hairline that led straight into his shorts; it was so distracting that I almost missed the next thing he said.

"He's told me you've been improving each week, maybe I'll stop by later today and see for myself."

"Please don't," my green eyes locked with his blue ones as the words flew out of my mouth a little too quickly.