N°5 II

The officer cocked his head to the side, resting his hand on his holster. "So let me get this straight... This lady died from an OD over two years ago and now she's back to kidnap her child?"

"YES!" Lauren and I screamed.

"Okay, okay, okay...You ladies had anything to drink tonight?"

"NO!" Lauren snapped back with an attitude.

The officer raised his eyebrows. "Any...You know... Hard stuff?"

Now it was definitely my turn to catch an attitude. "Now what the fuck you trying to say? You don't believe us?"

"It's just hard to believe that a woman came back from the dead to kidnap her biological child." He stifled a laugh. "I mean Halloween is not for another 6 months." He half joked, setting my anger to the max.

"FUCK YOU! Give me my gun and let me get my kids. I'm going home!"

"Ms. Maraj I still have questions..."

"Fuck yo' questions!" I screamed climbing up the steps to retrieve Papa and Kross.

When I walked back in the house some officers were walking around assessing God knows what. I walked over to grab Papa with Lauren right behind me. Call me nosey but I was eavesdropping on the conversation Sheree was having in the kitchen with some officers, Lauren not too far behind.

I could hear her explaining how her life was going okay until she ran into me. Further explaining that I had a few altercations with Cardi in the past and that I was probably in cahoots with her.

"That bitch!" Lauren whispered.

"Let's just go, she ain't even worth it." I huffed walking out the door.

After getting the kids strapped in, I turned back to the officer retrieving my gun. He gave me a crazy look before handing me over my license to carry card. I got into the passenger side since Lauren had already jumped in the driver's seat. When we pulled off from the house my mind flashed back to a few nights back when I got the gut feeling that my peace was going to be disturbed. For some reason I felt like this was just the start of something that would be beyond my control.

I could not wrap my mind around the fact that Cardi was indeed alive. As much as I wanted to convince myself that my mind was playing tricks on me, Lauren served as proof that I was not crazy. And my gut senses were telling me that she had something to do with this.

"Nika are you even listening to me???" Lauren ranted.

"I'm sorry I was thinking."

"Well, you better think harder, because what the hell was that? I told you that bitch could not be trusted. She threw you right under the bus! Now when I see her I gotta beat her ass!"

"Lauren, I don't want to hear I told you so right now! I got bigger shit to worry about—did you not see Cardi, or do you have to get your point across first!"

Lauren huffed hopping on the highway. "Of course, I seen her trifling ass! But we wouldn't be in the predicament if you weren't being so gullible. It's like a cycle with you! I told you stop being too friendly with bitches! Your heart is going to costs you more damage than you've already inflicted on it Nika... And I try my best to go easy on you, but I have a feeling that you love being hurt."

I shook my head turning my head out the window. "That makes no sense..."

"Alright bet..." Lauren said getting off the exit to our neighborhood. "So, riddle me this."

Lauren continued pulling into my driveway. "If you don't love being hurt why did you tolerate the bullshit that woman put you through huh? Time and time again you ran back to her to be embarrassed, mistreated, lied to, cheated on, raped and abused. But yet you're not attracted to pain? I think you need to severe ties with Taraji because whatever therapy you've been doing hasn't gotten your ass nowhere-."