010

Distance,

Isabella was alone in her room, the dinner had ended, and the rest of her family was still at Miguel's house, but Isabella said she'd needed to get ready for bed. Everyone believed her, but really, she just wanted to be alone. She was the only one in the silent home. Usually Isabella couldn't stand being alone, and would constantly need someone by her side, but she knew that she couldn't always rely on someone, especially in moments like these; when everyone knows something, except you.

The door knocks... her eyebrows furrow, her mom, dad, and Veronica have a key to the house, they could've just opened it themselves. Maybe they just want to be respectful of her privacy! Isabella puts her notebook down, getting out of her bed and walking out of her room and down the stairs. Once she was downstairs, she turned on the kitchen light, trying to make her way around because it was already too dark out.

The doorbell rings, "I'm coming... hold on." Isabella shouted from the inside, walking quickly to the door. She opens it quickly, not paying attention to who was there. "Papi had a key, you could've gotten it from him or—-" Isabella was then cut off by the clearing of someone's throat. Isabella looks up.

"Oh, sorry." She apologizes, looking over at the boy. "You forgot your phone, and your friends kept texting and calling you." Miguel pulls the phone out of his pocket, handing it to her, observing her face. "Oh, uh... thanks." Isabella grabbed it, looking over the messages and many calls she got... except the group chat one, caught her full attention.

  'We found something out about Miguel when he was gone, it's crazy Isa... like really sad.' It read, Isabella's eyebrows furrowed, looking down at the phone then looking up at Miguel. "Can we talk inside?" Miguel mumbled, sounding hesitant, which was weird. Especially for him. "Yeah... sure. Let's go to the kitchen." Isabella opens the door wider for him to walk in, closing it shortly after he's inside the house.

   "Miguel, if it's about the assignment, you don't have to worry about it, I can do all of it if you need me to, I understand that not everyone wants to do Mr. Smith's projects but—" Isabella is cut off, "It's not about school, Isabella." Miguel mumbles, looking over at her. "Okay..." Isabella stays quiet. "It isn't about school or anything, it's about me and you." Miguel looks over at her, Isabella is confused, Miguel is supposedly not supposed to remember her.

  "What do you mean...?" Isabella questions, looking over at him, but still looking away to avoid eye contact. "Just... bare with me, you can ask questions after I explain what happened last Spring." Miguel bit his lip, showing some sort of regret in coming over. "Uhm... okay, you're kind of scaring me, Miguel." Isabella chuckled lowly. "Just don't be mad at me, Isa." Miguel hesitated, this caught Isabella off guard. Miguel said he didn't remember her, he said all of this stuff, yet he remembers the nickname he made for her and so much more. What was about to happen?

  What was he about to tell her?

________

CLIFFHANGER 😭🙏