023

Distance,

THE LETTER; the start to something new.

Dear Miguel Cazarez Mora,

I don't know if you know or even knew, but I'm in love with you. I've been in love with you ever since the Fall Dance in fifth grade. Me and you weren't close, but I still remember that moment like it was yesterday, like it was the back of my hand, like it was engraved forever in my mind. It was 8 pm, the dance was almost ending, I was sat alone on the bleachers, having no friends and no one to dance with, so I sat there and read my book. Many people called me names and teased me, for being lonely and reading at a dance, but I didn't care.

I still read, only getting up to grab punch, or even use the bathroom. While you, you were the extrovert in any room, you were the one always able to talk to anyone even if they were younger or older, you know how to converse with people. I envied you, I still admired you for it, though. I remember that night, you were with some of your friends, dancing and snacking the whole night, you always joked with you friends, but it was one moment, where this girl, Stacy, came up to you. I didn't know what I felt, but I had noticed her walking up to you as I was walking back from the bathroom, holding my book close to me, standing there.

She was the prettiest girl in our grade, the skinniest to say the least. That's what every boy looked for, a skinny, pretty girl. Well, she had walked up to you, wearing a glittery, red dress, talking to you, and I'm assuming asking you to dance. For some reason, you declined her, I didn't no why or how you could decline Stacy, she was so... pretty.

But I ignored that, shrugging it off and sitting at my same spot, opening up my book and starting to read it, ignoring all of my surroundings as I was sat there, only until you came. You had walked up to me, asking why I was sat alone, I only said because my friends were dancing, but truly, I didn't really have friends at the time. You nodded, looking at my book before furrowing your eyebrows and seating next to me, you sat next to me, and talked to me. How could decline such a pretty girl to dance, and instead coming up to me to talk?

I was truly confused, but then I'd realized it, I'd realized when I was constantly looking at your lips, and eyes, and cheeks, that I was in love with you, I was in love with someone who I'd hardly talked to, but I was in love because of how much you were able to make me feel comfortable. You sat next to me, and talked to me the rest of the school dance. I had apologized over and over for keeping you from your friends, but you said, "Don't worry about it, Isabella, I wanted to talk to you, don't worry... and stop saying sorry, you have nothing to be sorry about."

That's what you said, and I've listened, I've somewhat stopped saying sorry, but that sentence made me fall for you, and it made me feel something inside, it made me happy and warm and fuzzy, even if it was one sentence, it came from you, and that's all that mattered to me. I love you, Miguel.

Love,
Isabella.

Dear Isabella Diaz,

I'm not sure the moment I fully laid my eyes on you, but I do remember one moment, this one pool party at Marcus's house, it was his 9th Birthday Party, you and I got a ride from my mom, Alondra and Veronica both came along, I remembered you were in a bathing suit, with shorts and a tank top over it. You seemed excited for the party, you smiled so much, but you kept a book close to you, for some reason, you've always had a thing for reading, people teased you for it, but I loved that about you, I loved the fact that your house was always poked in between two pages of a book.

We were at the party, everyone else was playing games or swimming, you sat there, eating pizza while reading, you looked intensely focused on the book you were reading, you smiled, gasped, and laughed while you were reading, it made me smile. I watched you from afar, but I could infer that, that book was probably your favorite at the time, maybe it still is your favorite book. That I don't know, but I do know, that you love the different genres of books, and your favorite genre is romance, and sometimes poetry.

  But, at the party, while everyone else had their fun, you still sat there, focused, there was someone who had fallen and slipped on water, and started bleeding, but you didn't notice, I've never seen anyone so focused in my life, I remember that day so well, because you looked so pretty, your pretty long hair braided back, and some pieces framing your face, and the dimples popping out while you smiled or laughed. And your big brown eyes widening at something that probably surprised you, it was cute.

  You're cute, and I love you, Isabella Diaz.

            Love,
                      Miguel Cazarez Mora

____________

i feel so fucking single.
-l