Episode 20

"Black Out Days", Phantogram

At dawn, when a timid sun was hiding behind the clouds, I was still walking and, without really knowing what I was doing, I finally knocked at Abosede's door.

It was Jimena who opened. She seemed surprised, of my presence but also because I was visibly in bad shape.

"I did not know where to go," I managed to say.

Jimena called Abosede and, when the immortal entered the room, she left us alone. Abosede led me to a beautiful armchair, simple but elegant as all the furniture in this undecorated room. "What is the matter?" She said, calmly.

I told her everything. I knew Abosede had had her fair share of difficult moments in her life and I trusted her. Moreover I had reached a point where I could not keep all this with me any longer.

She listened quietly without showing any emotion. Then she reached for my hand and she held it tightly. "I see," she said.

"Not the leader you used to want for The Council, right? You must be glad I declined the offer." I smiled sadly. "Well, now you dismantled it, it does not matter anymore."

"I am not glad at all. I am glad you are alive - be assured of that - but it pains me to see you going through this ordeal."

"Thank you." I paused and looked at the grey sky through the window. "I lost them, Abosede. It was awful."

"No, you did not. You pushed them away but you did not lose them. They love you and they know who you are. You have to go back to them."

"I want to."

"You told me you still feel connected to the Void. Is that so?"

"Yes, it is hard to explain, but I feel something has changed in me, and it is connected to the nightmares I have. I cannot fully comprehend it though. It is just something beyond my grasp."

"Would you consider opening your mind to me? Perhaps I can see things more clearly."

"Yes, of course, please do."

She put her hands on my head and I felt the connection. After a few seconds, her grip became tighter and my mind went dark. Her breathing turned difficult until I heard her scream while she was thrown across the room, as from a blast of energy.

I ran to her and put gently her head on my lap. She was unconscious. I called Jimena. "I do not know what happened. She was reading my mind."

We tried to wake her up and finally she did a few minutes later. Jimena took her in her arms, asking her if she was alright.

"I think I am fine."

"Thank god. I am so sorry," I said.

With our help, she sat on a chair. "How do you...the power you have now...how do you stand it?" She finally said. "It is overwhelming. I do not even know how you block it like you visibly do. No wonder you feel such a chaos. I could grasp only a glimpse of it and it knocked me down."

"What are you talking about?"

"I think it is what causes the imbalance you feel. You are blocking your power. But how could you not?" She saw I was still not following, and she tried to explain. "Listen, you think you are cursed in a way, that there is some reminiscence of the Void. But I can assure you it is not the case. I could be mistaken but I just feel power in you. Far more power than before. Well, power is probably not the right word. You know how we feel more connected with the world if we can master our abilities, growing older as immortals? Well, I think this is what happened here, but at a grander scale. And your mind is resisting it. This denial is tearing you apart."

"Then you think I should embrace it?"

"I do. To the extent of my knowledge, it is unheard of. But it did happen. And you have to deal with it."

"I do not know if I can."

"You can. As much as you can, and will, overcome your addiction, if you face the fact your life is far from over."

"Am I supposed to rejoice at the thought of that?"

"I know you are grieving. And I am very sorry for your loss. But you still have a lot to live for. Go back to your loved ones. They will help you. And rest assured of my availibity, should you need anything."

"Thank you, Abosede. For everything. Could you keep this piece of information for yourself? Until I know more."

"Of course."

Even if I wanted to, I knew she would not like to be hugged. So I laid my hand on her arm and I smiled. "Thank you," I repeated.

"You are welcome."