Episode 23

"Style", Taylor Swift

"Darling, I have something to ask you. Actually, two things," Amaury said.

He had invited me for coffee at the penthouse. He had first talked to me about the last book he had read, while we were listening to joyous New Orleans jazz. But I knew my best friend by heart and I could feel, since the start of the conversation, that there was something he wanted to tell me. I was sure it was good news though, because he seemed happy.

When he finally decided to talk, I teased him: "Alright. You seem very serious. Do I have to worry?"

"Well, it depends."

I frowned. "Okay. What do you want to ask me then?"

He took a deep breath. "Well, first, I'm asking for divorce."

"What? But whyyyy?" I cried with my hand on my forehead as a dramatic actress. "There is someone else, right? Do not lie to me."

"Indeed, there is." He paused. "And it's a man."

I gasped. "Good lord. I think I am going to faint."

We laughed together.

"So, are you asking me that for the reason I'm guessing?" I asked, leaning forward with curiosity.

He simply smiled. And I almost jumped on my chair. "Really? You are going to marry James?"

"I will. I know it's not necessarily the best of times. But with the life we have, it will never be. And as anything can happen, I want to spend every moment that I have with him, as my husband."

I screamed and hugged him. "Awww! That is amazing. I am so happy for you."

"Really?"

"Of course! How could I not be?"

"It's just... I hope this doesn't hurt you," he said. "It's the last thing I would want."

"Hurt me? How? What do you mean?"

"I mean... with everything that happened... do you feel the timing is inappropriate or disrespectful?"

So that was why he hesitated to talk to me about it. I waved my hand to chase away this question.

"Absolutely not, my darling. I think that celebrating your love is appropriate at any given moment. I am happy that you are happy."

He smiled, visibly relieved.

"Did you propose to him or him to you?" I asked.

"I did."

"How? What happened? Tell me everything."

"Well, I didn't plan for it at all," he said. "He just entered the room, I looked at him, and I felt so happy. Words came out of my mouth as in a dream. I had to do it, I couldn't wait anymore. I said: "Would you marry me?" He froze. I came to him, I got down on one knee in front of him, and I said: "James, I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Would you be my husband?" He was stunned. He didn't even try to do his usual show. He just said "Yes." We kissed and then we... Well, you don't have to listen to what happened after that."

He ran his hand in his hair while smiling mischievously.

I laughed. "I am so happy for you both. It is such wonderful news. You are great together."

"And that leads us to my second question. Darling, would you be my best woman?"

I gasped again, for real this time.

"Of course. I feel so honored." And I hugged him again. "Oh my god! It is going to be amazing. You have to tell me everything: what you want for the wedding, the place, the clothes, the food, the music, everything. Your wish is my command. I promise you, it will be perfect."

"Well, for one thing, I would like for you to sing."

"Stop it. Don't you see I am already crying."

He laughed.

"Now, I need to see James," I said.

"He's with Aidan, asking him to be his best man. They're supposed to join us here later."

When they arrived, James looked at me, rolled his eyes and said: "Oh no, the ex-wife."

I burst out laughing, and I hugged him.

While Amaury and Aidan were preparing some champagne, I had a few moments to talk with the vampire.

"So? How do you feel?" I asked.

"It's strange, you see. Because, well, you know me, I would have expected some grand gesture for the proposal: high production value, a rock band, probably twenty to thirty dancers, smoke and fireworks. Maybe a helicopter."

"Right. Are you disappointed then?"

"Not at all. That's the thing. I was so moved by the bareness of it. He did it his way. He just opened his heart to me. And in this moment, I could see clearly our future together. So I said yes."

"Who are you? What did you do with my James?"

He laughed. "I know, right? So mature of me."

"Well, let's not get too excited here."

He pretended to be offended.

"Anyway, that is wonderful," I said. "And for the high production value, we can put everything in the wedding, right?"

"That's exactly the plan. Can I count on your help?"

"Do you even have to ask?"