Saturday Night At The Pearl - Episode 30B

"About you", The 1975

I looked around me one last time to check if everything was right. The decoration of The Pearl fitted the bold but elegant colour palette Aidan had chosen for the invitation card he had painted and designed for James and Amaury. Not many people had the privilege to have received it though. It was a very private wedding. Everyone was already there. Anna, Lucas, Ahmed, Yon, Valentina, Abosede, Jimena and, of course, Aidan and me. My vampire was wearing a blue suit and I had chosen a strapless dress of a lighter shade of the same colour.

A sumptuous carpet was drawing a path from the entrance, hidden by light and luxurious curtains, to a small altar where the rings were waiting in a wooden and satin box, among delicate flowers. And Anna had enchanted a myriad of candles which would burn all night with a sparkling light in every corner of the room.

When Aidan gave me the signal indicating that everyone was ready, I sat at the piano, as the guests stood up, and I sang as if to manifest both of my friends in the room.

Amaury entered first, in a sophisticated dark grey three-pieces suit. He took his place near the altar as everyone formed a large circle around. Then, James entered in an asymetrical black suit with silver embroidered patterns that ran from one shoulder to the opposite thigh. On his buttoned up black shirt a diamond plastron necklace. Kohl brought up the colours of his eyes in a mesmerizing way. Amaury looked at him with adoration in his eyes, which brought a giant smile on James' face. Then James surprised everyone by kissing quickly Amaury before taking his place near the altar.

"I know, I know, I'm not supposed to do that now, but how can I resist? I mean, look at him," he said, while everyone laughed, including Amaury, who, I could not help to notice, blushed slightly.

Then, Aidan and I took our place a step closer to the center than the other guests on each side of the circle.

"I love you, Amaury, it is as simple as that," James started. "I know I can be difficult. I'm a lot. Hell, the first time I met Elise... it did no go well." He ran his hand in his hair in embarrassment while Amaury smiled. "And then, whereas others would have stopped at this image of a pathetic jerk, she immediately perceived the hidden awesomeness of me." Everyone laughed softly. "Thanks to her, I found my way back to my best friend, and then I met her best friend, my beloved Amaury. And here we are now. I am so aware of the miracle that is Amaury choosing me. You are the kindest, the most compassionate, devoted man I have ever met. You make me feel at home, whereas I had no idea it was a feeling I could ever experience again. You are unique and you make me see the world differently. Amaury, I love you. I love you more than I can say. And I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with you, if you let me."

Listening to James, I felt tears of emotion running through my cheeks and I braced myself to try to avoid being a complete mess during Amaury's speech. But then, I saw my dear Aidan's wet eyes on the other side of the circle, and it was hard to keep even a bit of composure. He caught my teary gaze and smiled gently.

Then it was Amaury's turn. "When I met you, James, I had almost given up, on life, on everything. But the minute I saw you, I knew you would become my life, and it scared the hell out of me. But you gave me strength. You make me brave, you always do. And you strangely knew how to talk to me. You offered me a side of you I knew you were hiding most of the time. You make me happy. I love the intensity of your feelings; I love your generosity and your perspicacity about people. I love your theatricality, of course, and you make me laugh constantly." James put a hand on his chest as if offended, mouthing "Me?" and Amaury chuckled. "Yes, you, my love. But you also know how to connect deeply with people. I know you had not necessarily the chance to do it that much in your life. But the persons who had the opportunity to really know you, they understand how precious you are. You are precious to me and I will do everything in my power to insure you are happy until the end of time. I love you, James."

Then James took the ring and placed it on Amaury's finger delicately. "I, James Christopher Carmichael, take you, Amaury, to be my wedded husband."

Amaury paused a second to breathe and smile, and then he reached for the second ring as he took James' hand in his. "I, Amaury Guilhem de Chaceney, take you, James, to be my wedded husband."

Everyone smiled and looked at one another to be able to say at the same time: "We now pronounce you husband and husband." And we cheered and applauded, while the newly married couple kissed tenderly.

" And we cheered and applauded, while the newly married couple kissed tenderly