Episode 18

"Little Dark Age", MGMT

I went back home with Henry. We both needed to talk, to talk it through even. We sat in the living room and Aidan served us some drinks. Then he went to my office to give us some time alone. But I knew he was watching over my shoulder. Just in case.

However, everything went fine. Henry told me he was better now, thanks to Abosede and Jimena who had been helping him finding his way back. I told him I had a hard time to find my way back too, since my return.

"You have to understand. I feel like I lost my balance right now," I said.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"It is going to sound harsh, but for now, I would prefer if we would not see each other."

He looked down.

"I am not blaming you, I want you to be certain of that." I took Ethan's ring in my hand. "But seeing you, it brings back memories. I see him in my mind, and I just cannot right now. It is too early for me. And I am not exactly myself these days. I do not know how to deal with that. I hope you understand."

"I understand. Of course. I just want to tell you... I cared about him very much. And I care about you."

"I know." I sat beside him and wrapped my arms around him. "I care about you, Henry. Please take care of yourself."

After he was gone, Aidan took his place on the sofa beside me. "Are you okay?" He said.

"Not really."

"What can I do?"

"Nothing, thank you."

His face closed up. He poured himself a glass of bourbon. I stayed still, buried in my thoughts and feelings.

His phone rang. It was a text message. He looked at it and seemed concerned.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Stanislas, he never left. He decided to stay in Paris. And apparently there are already some casualties. He hunts aggressively with his followers."

"Will he come after you?"

"Maybe."

"Did you hear directly from him since last time?"

"Not yet."

"I knew it was not something that would go away easily," I sighed.

He looked at me with a mix of anger and fear in his eyes. "I think I'm going to see James and Amaury now. And, if it's okay with you, I'll sleep at my place tonight," he said.

"Alright. I need to be alone anyway."

I did not want to sound that cold. I wanted him to stay actually, but I did not know how to deal with his presence, with the guilt I felt, the concern.

He did not say a thing, took his jacket and opened the door. Then he stopped and turned his head to look at me.

I looked at him too, I hesitated a second and I stood up and hugged him. He held me tight.

"I love you, Aidan," I said.

"I love you too, El," he whispered.

Alone in the apartment, I tried to sleep, but the nightmares did not let me catch my breath and I ended up pacing the room, most of the night.