Episode 25

"No roots", Alice Merton

I trained to try to understand my new found powers better and to regain my strength, in order to, among other things, being able to face Stanislas as soon as possible. We did not have heard from him again yet, but I knew it was the calm before the storm.

After my training session, James joined me to plan some things for the wedding.

"Do you think it's real?" James asked after a second of silence.

I lifted my eyes from the fashion magazine we were flipping through for inspiration. "What?"

"Am and I," he said.

I frowned. "You know it is. Did something happen?"

"No. I just..." I waited for him to continue. "Do you think I deserve this?"

I sighed and laid my hand on his arm. "Sweetheart, of course you do."

"But I could screw up and hurt him. You know I'm a mess."

"You are not a mess. And, yes, you could hurt him. And so could he. Of course. Things happen. But this is the last thing both of you want, and that is what is important. My point being: you love him and he loves you."

He nodded absently. I turned his face toward me. "He chose you," I said.

"But why?"

I closed my eyes and shook my head, sighing. The poor image he still had of himself broke my heart.

"Don't make fun of me," James said.

"I do not, honey. There are a million reasons why he loves you. But okay, let's look at this differently: why do you love him?"

"He's intense, intelligent, fun, magnetic."

"Is that all?"

"No, I mean... I feel inexplicably connected to him. I feel at home when I'm with him. And it's different from everything I felt before."

"My point exactly. Well, he feels the same way. You love each other and it cannot be explained or quantified or justified. You do. End of the story. You are in a good position to know that this kind of love happens rarely, that we can live for centuries without experiencing it, if ever. So please enjoy it."

"But how can I be sure of it? If only I had your abilities to read his mind, I would know!"

"Jesus, James! No, we would not do that, because it is awful and we respect privacy and boundaries, right?"

"Yeah, of course. Forget I said that. It's just... fear talking. Of course, I would not want that," he said, looking so vulnerable.

"Do not worry. You two are a power couple. Fairy-tale stuff. Musical rom-com shit. Maybe even Christmas musical rom-com shit."

He laughed. "Since when do you talk like that?"

"I am trying to speak your language here," I said with a smirk. Then with mock annoyance, I continued: "Now, stop whining, love, or I will not sign the non-existent divorce papers. Do you hear me? Marry my perfect ex-husband and be happy. And, for the love of god, decide on a colour for your wedding suit. I do not have all day."

We looked at each other and burst into laughter.

"Okay, bossy lady. Will do."

Then he smiled, touched my shoulder with his head and, with an adorably hesitant voice, said: "Thank you."

"You are welcome."