Chapter 15

Harry's POV

I clutch the acoustic guitar and close my eyes, letting my lips rest against the microphone for a second, letting the familiar texture of it comfort me before I begin playing an old song from my first album that has been haunting me this week. As I am singing it I am thinking about how frustrating this week has been. I've been reliving Monday evening and trying to think of anything I might have done wrong all week. Why has she been ignoring me? May said that no one has seen or talked to her, so my common sense tells me not to take it personally but I'm struggling with it. The bottom line is that it has been only a few weeks of hanging out with Zoey, some sweet kisses and some fiery ones, but I have no claim to her. Why am I so attached so quickly? I believe that it's mostly because she has given me a sense of comfort where I can be 100% myself with her and I have never felt judged or at risk. I have nearly no one in my life that makes me feel this way anymore. I crave it, and her.

"Same lips red, same eyes blue

Same white shirt, couple more tattoos
But it's not you and it's not me
Tastes so sweet, looks so real
Sounds like something that I used to feel
But I can't touch what I seeWe're not who we used to be
We're not who we used to be
We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me
Trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeatThe fridge light washes this room white
Moon dances over your good side
And this was all we used to need
Tongue-tied like we've never known
Telling those stories we already told
'Cause we don't say what we really meanWe're not who we used to be
We're not who we used to be
We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me
We're not who we used to be
We're just two ghosts swimming in a glass half empty
Trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeatWe're not who we used to be
We're not who we used to be
We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me
We're not who we used to be
We don't see what we used to see
We're just two ghosts swimming in a glass half empty
Trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeatTrying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeatI'm just trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat"

As I finish I sigh and lean back. I need a drink. This has been a shitty, long, stupid, frustrating week. 

Clapping interrupts my internal pity party, and I look up, feeling annoyed. I felt the air leave my body in a surprised huff as I just stared at Zoey, standing in front of me. She was biting the edge of her bottom lip, her hands clasped together in front of her, fidgeting with each other as her feet shuffle a little. The look that's in her eyes and painted so clearly across her face is guilt. Almost instantly that guilt spreads to me like a virus, as I remember the last time I saw her and how badly she was hurting. I can't imagine what she's been going through this week, yet I am here feeling sorry for myself and annoyed by her absence. My fun playmate has been missing for a few days and I am pouting, while she's been going through god only knows what kind of hell. 

I set the guitar down and take a step towards her right as she takes a step towards me. 

"Haz-" She starts, my nickname alone sounding so sad coming from her mouth. 

"Stop." I interrupt. Her steps stop and she cringes at the word. "Don't apologize to me, I can tell you're going to. Just get over here." I finish, reaching for her. She freezes for a few seconds and then hiccups a laugh as a fat tear runs down her cheek. She launches herself at me and I catch her eagerly. As her arms lock around my neck I lift her and her flip flops fall to the ground as she wraps her legs around my waist. I hold her tightly, my arms around her back. Minutes pass as I stand there, crushing her to me as she breaths against the curve of my neck. "Kermit. Are you ok?" I ask into her hair. She nods a few times and I feel her smile against my skin.

"I am now."

Zoey's POV

Zoey's POV

I realized, while in Harry's arms, that I hadn't taken a deep breath all week. He was my deep breath. As I finally let my bare feet touch the ground again, figuratively and literally, I stepped back and looked up at him. I reached my hand up and cupped his cheek, staring at him and realizing that the heavy fucking knot of doom that had been living in my chest and heart all week was gone. Completely gone. 

"I think I missed you. Very much." I whisper to him, trying to sort my feelings. I stepped back more and bumped a couch that lined a wall. I sat down and crossed my legs, pulling my hair back in a messy bun as I looked up to him. He was watching me right back.

"I know I missed you. Turns out you're my fun." He replied, not phased by his own honesty or my searching eyes. I smiled, feeling lighter and happier than I had in days.

"I regret shutting everyone out this last week, I know you said not to apologize but I have to tell you that I made a mistake. I shut down because I was going through this...struggle that I didn't know how to face. I made you guys worry about me and I made myself miserable and I wish I could take it back." I tell him with sincerity. 

"I understand. I'm not gonna lie, it's been a shit week, but you don't owe me anything. It's ok to take time if you need it." He replied back with a reassuring smile. "But just maybe next time give me a heads up." He ended with a laugh. I nodded my head at him, agreeing. I hoped my gratitude for his understanding was showing in my eyes because I wasn't sure I knew the words to explain how much I appreciated this man. I leaned forward on the couch, smiling evilly.

"To make it up to you I would like to invite you to a fun filled night of karaoke at the most exclusive club in all of.....this hotel." I say with a raised eyebrow and a playful laugh.

"The Wack!?" He gasped, jokingly, with a hand to his chest.

"The very one! Everyone is coming! We are going to dress up and over indulge and sing our asses off!" I bounce up and down in my seat, excited as I sell him on it with a huge smile on my face.

"Oh babe, you had me at 'the wack', I am so in!"