Chapter 3: The Bazaar

The colonization of planet Venus was only just past its one-hundredth anniversary. This fact is astounding because it was only two hundred years ago that the planet was a blazing, life-ending, led melting mess. But then, the science of terraforming advanced enough that the possibility of creating brand-new worlds became commercially viable. Thus began the Venus project: a privately owned venture plan to make the Planet livable. Thousands of big and small investment houses poured money into the project, and now the planet has three oceans, two continents, and no polar ice caps. Venuses' lack of polar ice is not by design. While terraforming the planet, the scientists discovered that the planet simply didn't need them. And now, the abundance of life flourishing on the new world is astonishing. In fact, the growth rate now is expected to exceed all expectations.

On the continent of Columbia, there is an extensive savanna where you can find the well-to-do and adventurous hunting and exploring. It's a large, dusty, grassy plane with paperbark trees dotted here and there, bushes, and few predators to mankind. It's on this dusty and dirty plain where James and Laura have been hunting and adventuring for the past twelve hours.

On their way back from the savanna, Laura asked James if they could visit the city's marketplace. They had been traveling mostly on the back of a hover truck and were returning to town when Laura caught sight of the beautiful Venusian sunset. The markets in this part of the world were well known for their variety of goods and spices, and the sunsets from the marketplace were considered to be the most lovely.

"If you wouldn't mind, I'd really love to see the gardens of Cavazos. I hear the weather is always nice, and I've heard that the setting sun is something to see." Said Laura McNeely.

"Then we'll head out directly. I owe you that much after dragging you around all day on the planes." Said James Newman.

"You don't owe me anything. I had a travel channel on the web a few years back and forgot how much I enjoy exploring."

"You had a travel channel? I didn't know that."

"Yes. I was poor, and the channel was a good way to pay the bills. I hope the Bazaars are as beautiful as the country. I've wanted to see the market all my life." Said, Laura.

"Then we'll go. And death to anyone who might try and stop us!"

"James?!" Said, Laura.

"It's just a saying. I'm sorry if I have offended you."

At the hotel, they freshen up and head back out. They smiled as they walked down the long white marble staircase.
James is dressed in dark pants, a white shirt, and a black sports coat. Laura is dressed in a colorful silk summer dress with thick, clog heels.

In the lobby, a valet tosses James his walking stick and hands Laura a christal-colored shawl. From the large entryway of the hotel, they begin walking and fade into the darkness of the night. About a half mile away are the streets of the bizarre.

"Closed?!" Said, Laura.

"Don't fret; we can still use our imagination. Let's walk the streets and view the booths. Even though no one is behind them, we'll dream and compare how things measure up tomorrow. Then we'll go to the gardens. So many beautiful things can still be seen tonight; I doubt we'll feel cheated. And there are many other things we can do like visiting the club scene. Or, if you're feeling fatigued, we can dine at some of the nicest restaurants on the continent. And we have tomorrow. If you like, we can spend the whole day shopping."

"I don't know what to say." Said Laura, "I am feeling a little tired. Maybe tomorrow, we can get out early and cover more ground. I really would like to see as much of the Bizarres as I can before we leave."