Chapter 14 Antarctica

It's Christmas time in Antarctica, and the sun will shine in agreeable weather that will last for the next six months. As the Earth warmed, most of the snow had thawed, leaving temperate weather for the inhabitants of the newly populated continent. Trees have even returned to this once-barren landscape. Conifers grow and thrive in new, lush, green forests.

Cobblestone roads line the landscape, and newly built cities rise up from out of nowhere as if conjured by some unseen magic. The roads are mainly used for pedestrians and bikes rather than motorized travel, and occasionally, a hover car can be seen racing down the street, but they are used for joyriders, sightseers, and tourists, who want to see the landscape that cannot be easily seen by teleport.

The flash of a teleporter lights up a booth that's parked near a vacant warehouse. Two people emerge from the stall. They walk down the pavement that leads to an eight-story apartment building. They reach the front door. It's decorated with wreaths, plastic ornaments, and red, blue, and green lights. They push through and down a short hallway that opens up to an old-fashioned elevator with a crisscrossing mettle gate. It closes like an accordion and resists the locking mechanism before securing shut. After lifting up to the top floor, they enter another hallway to apartment 803.

"Now, don't be nervous! Their good old-fashioned people with down-to-earth sensibilities." Said Laura McNeely, standing just outside her aunt's front door. The hallway they are standing in is long and dark, with a skylight letting in sunlight from above.

"Laura. I have attended several science conferences, spoken at many universities, and even accompanied more than one young lady to the debutant ball in Boston! But I don't think I can recall ever feeling as nervous as I do tonight." Said James.

Don't worry; you'll be fine; It's just a Christmas party, and they're all anxious to meet you."

She rings the doorbell, and red and white Christmas lights light up on a wreath. The bells ring Ding, ding, ding, ding-dong, de-da-do, ding-dong, de-da-do, dee!

James smiles.

"I know," said Laura, "my aunt does tend to get into the mood."

The door opens, and white light with the sound of merriment receives them. A male voice booms from inside.

"Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, Freddy." Said Laura to a dark-skin man standing at about six foot four. He's wearing a dark green and red ornamental waistcoat, blue khaki pants, and a gold leaf tie. "This is my friend, James. James, this is my Aunt Barbara's husband, Freddy Blackwell."

"Merry Christmas," said James.

"The pleasure is mine. Now come in, come in: get out of that awful hallway, and get yourselves some flaming rum punch!" Said Freddy as he closed the door behind them. He collects their coats.

"What's everyone doing?" Asked Laura.

"Playing games! Of course. After dinner, we're all going to settle down to a movie." He leads them into the dining room. "Don't worry, James, the men are going to skip out early and watch the ballgame. It's the Caves vs. the Nuggets tonight. It should be a good one!" Said Freddy very enthusiastically.

They enter the dining room and cross into the guest room. The dining room is a spacious area filled with an extremely long table. Connecting the two rooms is a small hallway, and as soon as they open the door to enter, a gathering of about fifteen people turn to greet them.

"Hello, everyone; this is James!" Cries Freddy.

"Hello, James!" A few shake James' hand while the rest raze their glasses.