Chapter 6: Outer Space Shopping Mall

"I don't think you should marry him," Said princess Catherine, "You're not royalty; it's not for the good of the state."

"No, it's worse; it's for the advancement of science." Said Tammy.

"Oh, that. Well, I think all this talk about human engineering is stupid. Really, they're not talking about creating a race of super-honest people or a person who's a good listener or even someone who's a good friend. So why should I care about a new race of people who are extremely smart or really, really pretty... No offense."

"I'm not that pretty. When I look in the mirror, all I see is me staring back."

"I don't believe you."

"Well, I do like my nose. And my chin, it's not so bad."

"Tammy, if I had your looks...

"I know. Do you really want to keep talking about this? Because the subject is putting me to sleep."

They continue down the walkway of the outer space shopping mall until they find a carpeted rest stop with many benches and trees. As the sun rises, the rays shine through the aluminum glass and force field, and a computer runs a tinting program to protect the shoppers against the unrelenting radiation from outer space.

"I still don't get it." Said the princess, "Is it just your looks they're interested in, or something else?"

"All they really care about is my DNA. They think that by mixing the right bloodlines with the right DNA, that one day, maybe far off in the future, they'll create a being so powerful that he will be able to manipulate particles just by thinking about them.

"Sounds far-fetched."

"It is. But they've got a lot of the right people invested in it. And as long as it's profitable...

"You'll have to marry who they say."

"Exactly."

They continue shopping, and after purchasing many dresses and undergarments, they find a restaurant and decide to have lunch. The curve of the earth rises above them. The fragrance of freshly baked bread pulls them in. They enter the establishment through a pair of thick glass doors and sit in a booth next to a long glass wall. To Tammy's left is the wall and the shopping mall hallway; to her right is a long bar with high stools and an extended tubular footrest.

A blonde waitress in a baby blue apron takes their order. She rushes back behind the bar and clips a pink sheet of paper to a small round metal object that the cook spins around to read.

Tammy grabs a straw lying on the table and neatly tears the paper. She dunks it into a glass of ice water and takes a sip.

"So," says Tammy, "Who are your parents demanding you marry?"

"Officially, I'm to marry my high school sweetheart."

"Who? Bob Barns?"

"No. Christopher Dunley."

"Who? I don't remember him in high school."

"He wasn't. Unofficially, I met him in a bar in Cancun on spring break.

"What?"

"Well, the family doesn't mind me marrying a plebeian so long as he's in the right business. I'm not directly in line to inherit the throne; my brother is."

"What's the right business?"

"Politics! Now I know what you're thinking; he's just marrying me to get elected."

"I wasn't thinking that, but ok."

"Right. What Chris is really interested in is electrical engineering."

"Wait a minute; you're losing me."

"I mean, my family's public relations firm has made up a story about my fiancé's pursuit of a political science degree. They think it looks better in the press."

"Oh, how odd. So, how is your intended taking the change?"

"He's fine. He already has a job with Gen-com and is taking classes on the side just for me!"

"Oh, that's so sweet! If it doesn't work out, you should introduce me."

"You'll be the last on my list to know."

"I understand." Said Tammy with a smile.

"That gives me an idea," said the princess, "why don't I loan you my personal private investigator."

"I was only kidding... What for? My father already handles such things."

"Yes! And that is my point. Since you and your family are at odds as to your best interests in marital bliss, why not have you're betrothed investigated: Just in case there's something they've missed."

"I'm sure my father was very thorough."

"I'm sure he was. But sometimes fathers miss certain things that a bride might not."

"I see your point."

"Well?"

"No offense, but I always hated the idea of having a personal investigator. People should have their privacy."

"I know. But you're being pressured to marry this man, and in cases like these, fair is only fair, you know."

"True," Tammy thinks a long while, tapping her long fingernail on the table. "Ok, send him over; I'll interview him."

"Tammara, in such cases, discretion is the rule. He'll be in touch with you when he feels the time is right. His name is Henry Blanc.

"Right, Henry Blanc. There's just one more thing." Said Tammy. "I think they have engineered me so that I'll have to marry who they say."

"What, like a robot?"

"No, like I won't be happy unless I live for the project. They've done the math, and studies show that I'll only be happy if I further the project. Father said that I don't have free will."

"Well, I don't know. But that sounds like slavery. Do you think you're a slave?"

"I don't know?"

"Do you want to be free?"

"Of course."

"There, you see, a door to the cage. And happiness isn't all it's cracked up to be. I believe goodness is the route to happiness. If you know what goodness is and act accordingly, you'll be happy!"

"I think you're right. I've been having the same ideas myself, but you put it so beautifully I don't know why I haven't thought of it before."

"Well, I didn't know I thought that way myself until you brought it up. I mean, I guess it took your problem to force it to the surface... You know what I mean?"

"Yes, but what is goodness?"

"Yeah, well, I'm sure you'll figure it out."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you're very smart."

"I'm not that...

"And because you have to if you ever want to get out of your cage."

"True. You know, it's kind of romantic if you think about it."

"Well, yeah, I suppose so "